Talk

Advanced search

Worried my cat may have been pregnant.

(7 Posts)
Dillydollydaydream Thu 21-Jul-11 17:08:17

We got 2 sister kittens from a rescue centre and we needed to get them spayed as per the written agreement.

Today I took them in to have their op.
The vet examined them to make sure everything was ok beforehand. He said one of them was a bit overweight and to keep an eye as their metabolism slows down when they're older. One has always been quite chunky and the other quite the opposite!

So left them behind and got a call an hr or so later to say they couldn't locate the uterus of chunkier cat using the flank incision so would have to make a midline incision as well! Poor cat!

Collected them, all fine apparently no problems.
However, having seen the kittens out of their carriers the chunky cat is no longer chunky, she looks remarkably slimmer confused

Also, where her underneath was shaved she has really prominent nipples?!?

Is it likely that she was pregnant?
Thought the vet would have said when he examined her Pre-op or when I collected her?
Would he still have operated if he suspected pregnancy?
It's too late to ring them now so will need to wait til tomorrow.

They're 8 months old and the cat in question hasn't had an obvious heat.
They don't go out yet but have sneaked out a couPle of times when ive dashed to get washing in.

girlywhirly Fri 22-Jul-11 08:06:37

I think if the cat had been pregnant at 8mths old, the vet did her a favour. The hysterectomy would have been far less traumatic than having a litter, when she wasn't fully grown herself. Odd that the vet didn't mention anything.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 22-Jul-11 17:14:45

My sil friends cat was thought to be a boy till it got pg, no season and season is very obvious in most cats you cant miss the wanton calling and her throwing herself around and weeing everywhere.

7 kittens btw. And shes thinking of keeping them all!

peggotty Fri 22-Jul-11 17:19:34

I doubt very much that the vet wouldn't have mentioned if she'd been pregnant when he spayed her. There would be slightly more aftercare of her for a start as it's a slightly riskier op if they're pregnant. Sometimes if a young cat has a teeny uterus then it's just a bit easier to find with a midline incision. But the vet should put your mind at rest smile

ThisMomentusDay Sat 23-Jul-11 10:44:11

I was doing work experience in a vets when i was at school and they spayed a pregnant cat, they didn't realise the cat was pregnant until the surgery and it was early stages, not like there were any recognisable kittens just a thickness to the uterus. They didn't even mention it to the owners afterwards, i guess they felt it wasn't worth risking the owner being upset. tbh they didn't see it as a big deal so i'd guess it happens quite a lot.

SoupDragon Tue 09-Aug-11 18:19:53

Why would you want to know?

mymumdom Tue 09-Aug-11 18:22:58

Most vets will spay pregnant cat if presented to them, but won't say anything unless the owners ask.
Do you really want to know?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now