Talk

Advanced search

Cat protection adoption & home visit

(9 Posts)
BabeRuthless Mon 18-Jul-11 16:19:13

Bit of background first. DS is 4 1/2 now but when he was born we had two cats, one really outgoing cat who the term "little bugger" was invented for & another much shyer cat who clung to me like glue. To cut a long story short, before DS reached 1 the outgoing cat had died suddenly (never found out what from, she was found round back of our house with no obvious injuries) & shy cat had run off obviously displeased at all the changes round the house.

Now a few years has passed I'd really love for us to get a cat. DS loves cats & dogs and is really gentle with animals. Having had a look round internet Cat Protection seem like the best route to, I just have a couple of questions.

Has anyone here had any experience with them? Positive or negative?
What do the home visits entail?
Are they likely to count fact DS has autism against us?

I've thought long & hard about the suitability of getting a cat & I'm sure it would be a really positive thing.

girlywhirly Tue 19-Jul-11 09:28:54

I have adopted from Cats Protection. I found a kitten on their website, which I made enquiries about, and visited at the fosterers home.

The home visit was just a look at the area where we live, (any busy roads) the home (enough room, who lives there including DC, any previous pets and existing pets, experience with cats) and garden, (access from the home, cat friendly, shade for hot weather and shelter from rain and snow, places to hide and things to climb) They aren't looking at how clean and tidy the home is.

That all sounds a bit full on, but they are just establishing that you don't live in a bedsit with 12 existing cats and no garden, next to the M1! The fact that you've had cats before, and that DS has been gentle and loves them should be a bonus, CP don't usually re-home kittens in families with under 5's, but if you want a cat it should be fine. DS will be able to visit the cats you are interested in, and I think it's pretty well known now that people with autism have bonds with animals that they don't even have with people, often beneficial to both. You may find that a cat chooses him! You may need to visit prospective cats at their fosterers homes, as well as at a rescue centre. You can visit those cats that interest you by appointment.

When you have decided on a cat, you have to do some form filling, and pay a donation to cover CP's costs food/vaccinations/microchipping/spaying, I think it was £50 for my kitten 5 yrs ago, and you can pay more voluntarily. I found the fosterer of my kitten was really generous, she gave me food and toys, and the vetbed the kitten slept on, lots of care leaflets and the vaccination record card, and the microchip details in a folder.

i hope that helps, and that you find your ideal cat soon!

pookiecat Tue 19-Jul-11 16:24:26

Cats Protection are great- we have a lovely male cat from them- advised not to have kittens with toddlers.We already have 2 cats and he has been with us for a year- lovely cat and great with my 2 year old dd.

BabeRuthless Tue 19-Jul-11 20:39:33

Thanks for the replies, that info is all really helpful. I'm more inclined to go for a cat rather than a kitten, the kitten might just add a little too much craziness! Also I think people tend to go for kittens & the older cats get neglected a bit, which makes me a bit sad. I think a cat that's a couple of years old would be perfect <resists urge to do "puurrfect" joke>

HeavensNetIsWide Tue 19-Jul-11 23:20:59

We got our boy from cats protection. He's lovely, but we did go asking for 1 adult cat and got pushed into 2 kittens, so beware!

Unfortunately they were the last 2 kittens of the litter, the runt and the bully, and didn't get on, with deterioration and fighting in our house, with 2 very unhappy cats ending in us having to rehome the girl. We have ended up with the happiest, loveliest Dcat ever, but I would advise caution, as they're just so overflowing with cats they're desperate to get rid of (and it's really hard to say no to 2 kittens once you're there and they're being all cute and fluffy, even if you actually wanted 1 sensible geriatric cat) <weak broody person emoticon> blush

SeriousWispaHabit Thu 21-Jul-11 07:13:47

Where do you live? I am looking to re-home my two boys sad

BabeRuthless Thu 21-Jul-11 09:41:08

SeriousWhispaHabit - We live in west Yorkshire, I'll msg you with more details if that's near you.

SeriousWispaHabit Thu 21-Jul-11 21:23:55

Not near me at all, but I would travel quite a way to have them placed somewhere suitable.

We are moving to a house on a main road and they are used to a cul-de-sac. They would only last about 5 minutes, I'm sure.

They are really lovely tabby brothers, about 6 years old. They go outside for a lot of the time but come inside in the evening for company. They are great with our two DDs (3 and1) and very placid and friendly.

We are in Surrey but my brother lives in Leeds so we could possibly arrange something.

BabeRuthless Fri 22-Jul-11 10:49:10

I'm not sure I can commit to anything just yet. DP is still making his mind up <rolls eyes> & we're probably going to wait till Ds starts school in sept. Hope you do find a home for your two, you must be gutted at having to let them go sad. Rather foolishly I've become attached to one of the cats on the cat protection website. Going to try & rope dp in tonight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now