Talk

Advanced search

Would you euthanise in these circumstances?

(4 Posts)
pjmama Mon 18-Jul-11 15:01:25

Really am torn about my cat and not sure what to do. Going to discuss with vet, but I'm interested in opinions?

He is around 18 years old - adopted as an adult 16 yrs ago, so could be older. He's on medication for hyperthyroidism and high blood pressure, both of which seem to be keeping his levels within normal at the last blood test. He's pretty much blind, can probably see moving shapes but little more. Also deaf, reacts to loud sudden noises but that's it. He's a bit stiff and arthritic and so can't groom very well anymore - as a result, his fur gets a bit lumpy and matted down one flank. I brush him as much as I can, but he hates it and it really distresses him so I can't brush him as much as he really needs. Despite all the above, he's retained continence so far and seems happy enough bumbling around in his own little world - still comes and sits next to us on the sofa on an evening.

However, he seems to be ravenously hungry all the time. He mostly hangs around in the kitchen, yowling for food constantly. All he will eat is tinned meat and he will eat as much as you will put down, as often as you give it to him. He is bone thin, so I really don't know where all this food is going.

He doesn't appear to be outwardly suffering, I have had elderly cats before who have quite obviously gone into the early stages of organ failure and it's been clear that it's time to euthanise. However, I have heard that cats can be quite good at hiding it if they're not so good and I just wonder whether being starving hungry all the time and apparently unable to satisfy that is in itself a form of suffering?

Whenever I've had to euthanise a pet in the past, it has always been unquestionable that it's the kindest thing. With him though, I'm just not sure? I just keep thinking that any day now, something could fail or I could find him dead in his basket one morning - but he's been like this for months now and he just doesn''t seem to have much quality of life anymore.

Has anyone else had a cat in a similar state and if so, at what point did you decide enough?

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 18-Jul-11 19:30:24

Could his thyroid problem be getting worse? Humans who are hyperthyroid eat lots but lose weight.

beautifulgirls Mon 18-Jul-11 22:39:19

Sounds like the thyroid problem need rechecking and possibly his medication increasing for this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now