Talk

Advanced search

How to explain cat's death to 2 yo?

(3 Posts)
EightiesChick Fri 15-Jul-11 08:42:40

My 17 yo cat is very poorly and has reached the end of the line - I am taking him to the vet this morning to say goodbye sad. My DS adores him and is very articulate for his age (2) but obviously still only has the emotional maturity of a toddler. How have other people explained a cat (or any pet) dying? I am just trying to formulate how to do it without frightening him too much. I quite hope there is an afterlife so don't have any problem with that as the basis of the explanation. It's just how to put it. Any advice will be welcome.

Northernlurker Fri 15-Jul-11 08:49:06

You need 'Goodbye Mog' by Judith Kerr. here

Tbh I haven't been brave enough to read this. Dd3 LOVES Mog and we're leaving her alive in our house for many years I hope. Everybody who has read it raves about it though. I would just say that your lovely cat is very tired and is going to go to Cat heaven where he won't be tired and poorly but will have lots of fun. It's sad because you love him but he will be ok and you can always remember him.
I'm sorry you've got to face this. Our cat is so much part of the family. It's very hard isn't it.

Ok - off to find some tissues!

kiteflying Fri 15-Jul-11 08:50:01

I told mine that because my cat was very ill he had to go back to his own mummy in heaven so we would not be seeing him any more. I made sure that afterwards I always said that my cat had died rather than any of the euphemisms.
Sorry, even a year later it is hard to talk about. Make sure your DS gets a chance to say good bye, even if the temptation is to let him alone. Make sure he knows it is a one way ticket and he won't see his cat again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now