Talk

Advanced search

We took in a stray female cat who we know this is pregnant

(28 Posts)
fannybanjo Wed 13-Jul-11 20:56:20

Has anyone any idea if she can be spayed and the foetuses aborted? Obviously don't want a litter of kittens too.

ClaireDeLoon Wed 13-Jul-11 22:13:32

Yes this can be done if early enough. We took in a young female possibly pregnant and the vets couldn't be certain if she was or wasn't but were happy to go through which spaying which we did, I do remember they said there was a higher risk due to the increased blood flow, but given if she was pregnant the likely father was her brother it was recommended. I assume at a more advanced stage it might not be possible though. Hopefully someone who knows for definite how many weeks it can be done until can help further.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 13-Jul-11 22:19:32

I think it would depend on how far gone she is and how it would affect her physically. Plus I imagine some vets wouldn't want to do a cat abortion.

If she can't have it done your not going to drown them are you? Because you could start ringing around rescue centres now and getting on a waiting list to have the kittens re-homed plus reduce centres usually neuter to stop more unwanted kittens.

Also don't advertise kittens in free papers or the Internet as people who are involved in dog fighting send women with kids to get them and they get used as live bait and are torn to shreds by pitbulls.

I really think you need to contact the cats protection league or a no kill rescue so you've covered all possible outcomes.

fannybanjo Thu 14-Jul-11 17:02:56

Thanks both for replying, the title wasn't right for some reason - posted it on my iPhone on the new app...

OMG would I hell drown them!!! sad I wouldn't even kill a spider. We've rang the vets, she's going in tomorrow - if she is pregnant and vet is ok with it then unfortunately foetuses will be aborted, I have 2 dogs, 2 cats and 3 kids - unfortunately looking after a litter of kittens would be too much as would stress of rehoming them as I'd worry about getting good homes BUT if she is too far gone then of course I'd be in my element and a litter of kittens here we come grin. I've also rang Cats Protection who told me if she does have a litter then to call them and they'd try their best to rehome. Luckily DH and I are huge animal lovers so this little stray came to the right door... blush wink

I'll let you know tomorrow. Shes going in at 9.30am.smile

fannybanjo Thu 14-Jul-11 17:05:15

PS I hope no-one thinks I'm cruel to be talking about aborting unborn kittens but truly it would be the best option as there are far too many kittens this time of year that need rehoming. sad

stupefy Thu 14-Jul-11 17:06:22

Are you absolutely sure she's a stray ?

PonceyMcPonce Thu 14-Jul-11 17:08:40

I think if she is far along enough for you to be sure she is pg, then it will be too late to terminate.

On the phone for you!

fannybanjo Thu 14-Jul-11 17:13:41

Stupefy yes she's definitely a stray - I believe she's been hanging around the village for a few months being fed from different houses. We put up notices in our village and also two Neighbouring villages.

peggotty Thu 14-Jul-11 17:18:35

I've worked in a vets and they will spay a pregnant cat. It only happened a couple of times in the 6 years I worked there but one of the cats was pretty far on. I don't think there is a 'limit' to when you can spay a pregnant cat, although it may be down the the vet.

peggotty Thu 14-Jul-11 17:20:19

Meant to add, there is a bit more of a risk involved and you will probably be charged more than a 'standard' spay.

fannybanjo Thu 14-Jul-11 17:26:43

Thanks pegotty - I'll see what they say tomorrow - no way would I do it if she was too far gone or if cat would be in danger.

Tiggertoo14 Thu 14-Jul-11 17:33:43

I also got a stray cat who was very young, and having tried to find where she came from, to find her a new home, we ended up keeping her. She went to the vets to be spayed, and the phoned me mid through to say she had 9 kittens, what did i want to do, i felt awful, they told me she was so young with so many kitten their recommendation was to abort which i did. It cost a considerable amount more, not that really mattered but she is the only cat i have had that pined, sat in a corner for a week which i assume was for her babies. I felt dreadful. Just bear in mind she may well "pine" for her babies and not like you very much, but they soon get over it. Good Luck

fannybanjo Fri 15-Jul-11 09:36:25

Tigger I wouldn't beat yourself up - you did the right thing. 9 kittens is a big litter especially for such a young cat.

Jess (the cat!) has gone to the vet, she look so worried sad. I actually don't think she is pregnant today so we'll see what the vet finds. Fingers crossed she isn't.

fannybanjo Fri 15-Jul-11 10:10:50

DH just back from vets - she's around half way through pregnancy so he advised to remove them. sad best option really.

ClaireDeLoon Fri 15-Jul-11 10:19:57

When will she have the op? At least you know now and I don't think you're cruel at all, you're doing it in the best interests of the cat.

fannybanjo Fri 15-Jul-11 11:43:26

Claire she's getting it done now. I know we're not being cruel as we've given the poor thing a good kind home, getting her
Spayed whereas if we hadn't she'd have been homeless with a litter of kittens to look after then they're would have been more strays on the streets. It's an irresponsible pet owner in my opinion who doesn't spay their cat.

Tiggertoo14 Fri 15-Jul-11 11:45:39

I hope she is ok, best thing for her, but not an easy thing to do, good luck

peggotty Fri 15-Jul-11 11:46:10

You're doing the right thing. Just give her lots of tlc when she comes home. She's a lucky cat to have such a lovely responsible new owner smile

HereLiesDobbyAFreeElf Fri 15-Jul-11 11:47:15

MIl took in an elderly neighbours cat, and it was pregnant. We paid £98 for her to be spayed as MIl did not want kittens.

Hope your cat is ok.

fannybanjo Fri 15-Jul-11 11:50:13

there not they're - Jesus this spellcheck makes me look illiterate.. grin

fannybanjo Fri 15-Jul-11 11:51:48

Thanks everyone smile. She's such a gentle soul - not used to sitting on anyone's knee etc so not particularly loving but hopefully with time she'll be more human friendly..! I'll let you know how she is later wink

superjobeespecs Fri 15-Jul-11 11:57:09

my sisters cat fell pg 2/3 years ago and the vet was adament about an abortion my sister said no she's 'of age' <over 2> we'll keep them. vet was actually angry at my sister them prescribed worming tablets that could cause a miscarriage in the cat. good job my sis read the box instead of just going ahead! that vet was bloody evil. glad your kitty is getting dealt with in the way thats best for all of you smile our cat was done at 6 months thank god cos she's a tramp as there are quite a few toms around our area wink

fannybanjo Fri 15-Jul-11 18:05:18

Cats back - alls well! She seems fine. She's going to get spoiled tonight. Thanks everyone for your advice. smile

ClaireDeLoon Sat 16-Jul-11 11:42:13

Glad she's OK!

fannybanjo Sat 16-Jul-11 11:45:45

Claire she seems to be hiding around the house a lot. sad. Our other cat (female) didn't do this after being spayed. I hope she's ok. It's probably a surge of hormones - after all she was pregnant only 24 hours ago. I feel quite sad for her - I know I've done the right thing as she is only very young according to the Vet. Too young to be having kittens.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now