Talk

Advanced search

worried about my skinny elderly cat

(3 Posts)
sweetandtenderhooligan Mon 11-Jul-11 11:22:15

My beautiful cat is about 13 or 14 years old (she was rescued 11 years ago). She's always been quite little and thin but she's lost a lot of weight recently, but is hungry all the time.

I took her to the vet for her boosters about a month ago and mentioned the weight loss. The vet said I should start feeding her on demand and see if she gains any weight.

I've been trying to do this but obviously when I'm at work I can't feed her. I leave biscuits out - but I don't know which cat is eating them as I've got two. I'm at home today and I've fed her two sachets of wet food so far. She at one and a half but she's currently scrounging around the kitchen licking the bottom of bowls etc. She begs all the time, like a dog.

She is really skinny. Her spine is very prominent. She looks old.

I have an appointment with the vet tomorrow and I'm wondering what to expect. Is it likely that she's really poorly? Or maybe something that's easily treated? I just want to be prepared.

Thanks

Butterbur Mon 11-Jul-11 11:27:04

Has the vet done a thyroid test? We had this with an elderly cat some years ago, and the vet gave us thyroid tablets for her.

ImeldaM Tue 12-Jul-11 09:39:32

I would agree, sounds like possibly overactive thyroid, she would also be likely to be weeing a lot if thats the case.

My cat has this, and been on thyroid tabs for years now, she's about 16 & still going strong, still skinny but not poorly looking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now