Talk

Advanced search

Just got a kitten for my 6 year olds birthday, and its caused huge rows between husband and I.

(242 Posts)
lovesmountains Sun 10-Jul-11 21:51:33

Thanks for taking the time to read.

We bought a 3 month old house trained kitten from a rescue centre this week for my daughters 6th birthday present.

She is adorable and we all love her but DH has decided she is ABSOLUTELY not allowed in the house at all. We do have a wonderful garden and some shelter for her outside but my daughter and I would still love to be able to give her a cuddle in the house.

I've suggested that she comes in the house just to go on our lap and not wander around, but DH thinks she need to know her boundaries and this will only confuse her.

Never having had a cat before, would love to know others views on this.

Many thanks,

HereLiesDobbyAFreeElf Sun 10-Jul-11 21:53:49

You cannot keep her outside all of the time! That is cruel.

Why get her if your Dh was so against it?

bamboobutton Sun 10-Jul-11 21:56:41

i think it's really fucking cruel to keep the poor cat outside.

what about when winter comes and there is snow?
what about when it is pouring rain and howling gales?

why on earth did he agree to get a cat in the first place??!

UsingMainlySpells Sun 10-Jul-11 21:56:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hester Sun 10-Jul-11 21:57:00

Didn't this get discussed before you decided to get the cat?

I'm not soppy about pets at all, but I think this is completely unreasonable. Cats like to come indoors - for warmth and safety, for a cuddle, just to be around the family. It is absolutely unreasonable - and pointless - to get a cat and then not let it in. It is also borderline cruel to do this to a little kitten.

Besides, you will find that she won't hang around very long if you do this. She'll find another family who WILL let her in, and she'll move in with him.

Honestly, if your dh won't budge on this, I reckon you're better off rehoming the kitten fast.

Tigerbomb Sun 10-Jul-11 21:57:50

Were the rescue centre aware of your husbands plans?

hester Sun 10-Jul-11 21:58:26

Oh, and the outside space is probably already claimed territory by other cats. They will attack your kitten. The only fair thing to do is to have your kitten home-based and, as she grows, she will gradually claim her territory.

Honestly, you have got the wrong animal if you want a pet who will just live outside. Try a goat.

HereLiesDobbyAFreeElf Sun 10-Jul-11 21:58:51

This has really annoyed me. Are you for real?

She will definteily not come inside for a cuddle if you leave her outside. She will become feral! She will be terrified of where she is and she will get attacked by other cats.

purplepidjin Sun 10-Jul-11 21:58:58

Cats are house pets, they need to feel safe in their own territory! Did he not raise his concerns before the rescue agreed to rehome the cat?! shock

Oakmaiden Sun 10-Jul-11 21:59:36

That is just mad. Why get a kitten if you are not going to let it in your house?

Trust me - it won't stay with you five minutes if you just let it out in the garden.

Tigerbomb Sun 10-Jul-11 21:59:55

Can I suggest that you rehome your husband grin

hester Sun 10-Jul-11 22:00:14

Why do I keep returning to this thread? I actually quite upset for this poor kitten. Honestly, you and your dh have made a big mistake. Either he needs to give way, or you should return the kitten to the rescue centre asap. Trying to make his solution work is just not on.

HereLiesDobbyAFreeElf Sun 10-Jul-11 22:00:23

grin at "get a goat"

yellowkiwi Sun 10-Jul-11 22:01:25

I can't believe you didn't think about this before you got her. Poor cat.

crazynanna Sun 10-Jul-11 22:02:41

I would put your old man in the bleeding shed to be quite honest hmm

IfOnlyICouldFly Sun 10-Jul-11 22:03:02

That is ridiculous. Cats should not be let outside on their own until they are over 6mths as they can't defend themselves (vet told me this). Why bother having a cat if she can't come in the house? What are your husband's reasons? If you are in the SE I can re-home it if your husband won't stop being an arse start being more reasonable.

follyfoot Sun 10-Jul-11 22:03:04

If your kitten's future is to be left outside, take her back and let someone else have her. The life she is being offered with you is no life at all for a non-feral cat.

If you dont want to take her back, we'll have her.

AtYourCervix Sun 10-Jul-11 22:04:40

what the actual fucking hell?

How the fuck do you plan on letting a cat in the house to only sit on your lap?

what about in winter?

What actual fucking rescue let you take home a cat without knowing what you were going to do with it?

and what is the point of having a fucking pet cat, whaen you plan to leave the poor bugger ouside?

Bollocks.

mollschambers Sun 10-Jul-11 22:05:08

Sorry but if your DH is dead set on her not being in the house then you should have let someone else take her. If he won't be persuaded then you can't possibly keep her.

crazynanna Sun 10-Jul-11 22:05:08

I'm in North London,I'll have her...but you can keep the fella

Geordieminx Sun 10-Jul-11 22:07:12

You should rehome her.

No cat deserves to live like that.

Your husband is a cruel bastard

HereLiesDobbyAFreeElf Sun 10-Jul-11 22:07:33

Op, is the poor kitten outside now? Please bring it in and take it back to the shelter tomorrow.

What you are doing is seriously cruel.

follyfoot Sun 10-Jul-11 22:07:34

PS We're in the Midlands

Empusa Sun 10-Jul-11 22:09:34

I hope the poor kitten goes to a better home.

FoundWanting Sun 10-Jul-11 22:09:35

My DH was set against getting any pets until DD ground him down. He moans constantly about the cat - it's too expensive; it sheds everywhere; it wakes everyone up at silly o'clock - but even he wouldn't put a 3 month old kitten outside.

Didn't you discuss this before you got a cat?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now