Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

cat won't take tablets

(19 Posts)
StayFrosty Tue 05-Jul-11 22:46:26

my elderly cat (age at least 14) has a really overactive thyroid gland, she is supposed to take a tablet twice a day. since this was discovered last week and the tablets prescribed, we have managed to get around 4 or 5 down her sad

she spits them out of meat or food. she thrashes about lashing out if you try and out them in her mouth. we got one of those plastic tablet givers today, that didn't work. and every time she gets warier and warier, she won't come near me. fucking hell. what am i going to do?

DaphneHeartsFred Tue 05-Jul-11 22:50:10

Wrap her in a blanket, ram her between your knees, tip her head right back, push the tablet as far down as you dare, hold her mouth closed, stroke her neck and blow on her nose.

Simple. hmm

<<quakes at the thought of it being time for DCat1's tablet>>

fruitshootsandheaves Tue 05-Jul-11 22:53:06

oh what a nightmare.
I suggest you call the vet and explain maybe they can give it by injection but as it sounds like a long term thing that might not be an option
Have you tried giving it too her in something really smelly like tuna or sardines? Give her just a little bit to make sure she eats the tablet then give her her normal food.
I usually use the plastic tablet thingy for my cats but you have to put it right at the back of their mouth so they can't spit it out.
hope you get it sorted. My childhood cat had thyroid problems but I don't remember how we gave her the tablets.

RollingInTheAisles Tue 05-Jul-11 22:56:40

I second Daphne's approach although I usually do without a towel although that's just how I find it easiest (experience 'pilling' many cats per day in rescue for a few years).

Kneel down on floor, hold pill between thumb and forefinger of right hand (if right handed). Quickly, firmly and gently scruff her with your left hand and lift her head back. Push the pill into mouth with middle finger and thumb of right hand then push as far back as you can with middle finger, she'll swallow, might retch a little but will be ok.

whomovedmychocolate Tue 05-Jul-11 22:58:15

A cat is just a tube with teeth at one end and smellyness at the other.

How to give a cat a pill

RollingInTheAisles Tue 05-Jul-11 22:58:40

Oh yes, once you get a few down she'll probably get used to it and calm down. It's the failed attempts that wind them up but that's normal to start with. It will become second nature for you both with a bit of practice.

StayFrosty Tue 05-Jul-11 22:59:30

right, thank you both. i will try the blanket and the stinky fish (no one likes fish in this house, but the things we do for love huh). thanks for the suggestions.

StayFrosty Tue 05-Jul-11 23:04:01

both? x posts blush i mean thank you all.

wmmc we have been through those 20 steps, and back again already grin

rolling, i am glad you think she'll ge tbetter, honestly? i just keep thinking she'll get worse and worse as she has been doing. she just keeps running away from me. aaaarrrrgh.

Lizcat Wed 06-Jul-11 16:56:08

I am hanging my head in shame as I prepare my confession.
Firstly I am a vet, secondly my DH refuses to provide any assistance with the pets and finally beautiful moggy girl becomes an evil harpy when you have tablets near her.
Okay the tricks I have used to get the thyroid tablets into her firstly primula cream cheese spread so sticky they lick it down, cheesy wotsits you can poke the tablet in the top and finally cheddar cheese left out so it is a bit squishy.
It sounds like you are on Felimazole that is a twice daily treatment it may be worth asking your vet about vidalta that is a once daily treatment.
You could also consider getting your cat stable with a couple of months tablets and then having a thyroidectomy to remove the affected gland.

StayFrosty Wed 06-Jul-11 17:29:36

shock

grin

Primula? Hmmmm. I will bear that in mind. Last night the blanket and tablet giver worked a treat. She has avoided me all day today though......

The tablets are indeed felimazole, i will ask about the other ones. She has to have another blood test in a fouple of weeks, her heart is apparently too enlarged and crazy to attempt surgery atm, so thyroidectomy not an option unless she takes these bloody tablets first. Also - my dsis had a thyroidectomy (bad thyroids run in my family) and she has to take thyroxine, would my cat not have to do the same?

I have another cat of 14 as well, just waiting for him to develop some awful old age related thing now. sad

MrsCrazyLegs Wed 06-Jul-11 17:36:06

Our puss had same trouble last year - we found that grinding the tablet to a powder then mixing it with some sludgy cat food, like pate, was the only thing that worked. She also had heart issues preventing the thyroidectomy, so we also had to give her heart tablets (in the same way). After a few weeks of these tablets, she had the op - all fine now & no further meds

StayFrosty Wed 06-Jul-11 17:38:55

Oh that is good to hear mrs crazylegs. smile

RollingInTheAisles Wed 06-Jul-11 18:32:50

Good luck StayFrosty, I do mean it about the getting better thing. The reason it's getting worse now is because she's stressed because it's a new thing and she doesn't know what you're doing and you're stressed too (naturally). Once you get the hang of it it will be over in seconds, you'll get more confident and she'll get used to it. Now, I'm not saying you shouldn't try the other methods because great if you can find one that works. But if you can't you will get the hang of giving her a pill.

I had one old cat that was prone to being sick and he was on steroids that helped with that but the problem was me sticking my finger to the back of his throat had the opposite effect and risked making him throw up. So we gave him his tablet in a squished up piece of smoked cheese for two years and it worked a treat smile

TheOriginalFAB Wed 06-Jul-11 18:37:07

Sympathies from the FAB house as FabCat has to have tablets 3 times a day. She was on 5 a day..

ThisisaSignofthetimes Wed 06-Jul-11 18:39:57

Might take two of you but in addition to putting cat between knees pushing pill in and blowing on nose, stroking throat also helps, encourages a swallowing action-used on my old cat, works a treat.

solospud Thu 07-Jul-11 12:31:21

Wrap the cat in a towel or blanket pop tablet in a piece of cheese hold mouth closed and rub the throat, Hope this works they will get used to it if it becomes a permanant thing. Good luck x

StayFrosty Mon 18-Jul-11 11:20:26

I just wanted to update and thank everyone who posted on this thread, because now the cat is getting 2 tablets a dY regular as clockwork. I can do it singlehanded and (usually) on the first attempt. I wrap her in a towel, usethe plastic tBlet giver we got from the vets, thwn rub her neck and throat. Hopefully she'll be well enough to have the op after this. So thanks again smile

TheOriginalFAB Mon 18-Jul-11 17:52:39

I am glad things are easier.

My cat led dh to believe she had taken her tablet. I found it at the other end of the kitchen when I swept the floor hmmgrin.

Lizcat Tue 19-Jul-11 20:24:25

Sorry been on holiday. No cats do not usually need thyroxine post surgery as they have very small amounts of ectopic thyroid tissue in their chests that continues to produce thyroxine after the thyroidectomy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now