Talk

Advanced search

vet thinks my 10 week old kitten has cat flu

(6 Posts)
cheesesarnie Mon 04-Jul-11 11:49:45

sadim in tears!
hes got running eyes,swollen glands and is sneezing.vet said the fact hes eating and active is a good sign.
he gave him eye drops and antibiotics incase of secondary infection.
i also have two older cats and im so upset that they have been exposed to it too sad.
the vet warned that the mortality rate in kittens is fairly high.

unclefest Mon 04-Jul-11 14:59:44

oh cheesearnie. Please try not to take the vet's comment to heart too much. You have caught this in time, your kitten is eating and moving about and crucially, getting antibiotics. This is ALL POSITIVE. My kitten had cat flu at six weeks and made a full recovery after antibiotics. Many kittens do recover. I've got everything crossed for you. Keep us posted xx

cheesesarnie Mon 04-Jul-11 18:31:28

i just spoke to vet again.his(cat not vet)eyes more swollen and inner eyelid is more visable.
hes been asleep since we got back from the vets this morning.getting up a couple of times to wee and eat a bit.
vet said to take him back tomorrow if worse but theres nothing he can do.sad

unclefest Tue 05-Jul-11 09:48:33

He may get worse before he gets better, but stay strong and keep hoping, they really really can and do recover. He's still eating, which is a really good sign. Don't be afraid to sit up with him at nights and ask vet if you can syringe feed fluids if necessary - vet should have some ideas. xxx

ThisIsJustASagaNow Tue 05-Jul-11 10:00:20

Please don't think the worst is inevitable. Unclefest's posts are spot on.

Our kitten developed a dose of it just after we brought him home. I was very worried too but our vet said sometimes they have the virus in them and isn't uncommon.

We looked after him (a bit of mashed fish goes down well and yes fluids important) He was on AB's he got worse then turned the corner. Now he's a gorgeous big boy nearly 2.

If your other cats are vaccinated that'll be good protection.

Also sending get well wishes.

cheesesarnie Thu 14-Jul-11 20:38:05

sorry,havent been on mn.hes still here!still on ab and eye drops.got to go back to vets next week as they think one eye is beyong repairsad although it is looking bit better today.hes crazy,climbing curtains,attaking feet etc-so im guessing hes feeling bit bettergrin
hes eating loads!loves tuna and pilchards!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now