Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

flea infestataion help needed

(5 Posts)
sleeplessinderbyshire Sun 03-Jul-11 08:47:05

Have 2 cats who go outside and kill mice, stupidly not defleaed them for ages. I got bites 3 weeks ago treated the cats with frontline and sprayed everywhere. We've just been away for 2 weeks (cats not in house). Last night I got at least 20 bites sat on the sofa and another 20 or so in bed. found 4 live fleas in the bed today. feel sick with it. yuk yuk. off to pets at home as soon as they open to get some more spray or a flea bomb. fortunately DD had not been bitten at all but I am covered in bites and even DH who never gets bitten has a few. Debating if to get rentokil in tomorrow when they are pen. Vet said frontline and spray would be enough. what do I do about the bedding? Fleas can't live in my clothes can they?

Lizcat Mon 04-Jul-11 18:24:50

This a really common scenario as fleas need vibrations for them to hatch so a whole load have been waiting for you to come home. You need a flea spray that has a residual effect like Acclaim. All the bedding etc put in the washing machine and was at at least 40. Finally buy a flea collar and put it in your hover so it kills fleas as they are hovered up.

ditavonteesed Mon 04-Jul-11 18:27:44

wash bedding at 60 or 90, if it were me i would bin it and buy some new (we had an infestations a few years ago, made me feel ill) flea bombs are good. cats should be ok if frontlined so its just the ones in the house.

SparklyCloud Mon 04-Jul-11 23:36:50

Cats are covered, its the eggs in the house hatching. Flea bombs the best i believe.
Dont need to destroy the bedding!

ravenAK Mon 04-Jul-11 23:41:13

Use Nuvan Staykil or Acclaim & hoover vigorously both beforehand & the day after. Bedding on a hot wash.

It's a pain - dd2 is the tastiest thing in this house - she's 3 & her back is covered with bites atm sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now