Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Very poorly cat renal failure

(4 Posts)
maddiemostmerry Wed 22-Jun-11 17:24:31

Hi my four year old cat has renal failure.
We got him as a rescue kitten when he was six months old and he has been beset by health problems and probably just didn't have the best start in life.

He has been on Fortekor for six months, but has now deteriorated rapidly. He won't eat or drink at all. He is currently at the vets on a drip. Shown no real improvement in the twenty four hours he has been there.

He also seems confused. One of my cats years ago had a stroke and his behaviour seems similar. He puts his head in the water bowl but seems to have forgotten how to drink. He is also dragging a back leg on the rare occasion he moves.

Vet is going to keep him in another twenty four hours but if no improvement by then we will bring him home for one final night.

I am so shocked because he is only four, even though he is so unhealthy.

He is my dogs best friend. When we brought home the empty basket from the vets the dog whimpered when he couldn't find the cat in it.sad

TheOriginalFAB Wed 22-Jun-11 17:41:06

Oh love sadsad. Sorry to say it does sound like the end as my vet has told me what might happen with mine. Your poor dog too sadsad.

frostyfingers Wed 22-Jun-11 18:19:56

I'm sorry to hear that, and so young. We lost two of ours (part Burmese) to the same thing but they were older and had other issues. It's a hard decision, but you'll know when the time is right and that you're doing the right thing for him.

maddiemostmerry Wed 22-Jun-11 20:28:09

Thank you both for your kind thoughts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now