Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

what is the best way to teach a kitten?

(7 Posts)
CherryMonster Mon 20-Jun-11 22:52:58

kitten (stella) is a little mischief and keeps getting up to things she shouldnt like climbing onto the table, climbing on the clean washing and trying to eat my shoes in particular. what is the best way to teach her not to?

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 20-Jun-11 23:01:08

Is this your first kitten? Because they do what they want and you can't really train them it's more damage limitation.

The most I've achieved with mine is not to jump onto the work top when I'm cooking. When im not cooking he gets up there.

BooyHoo Mon 20-Jun-11 23:03:02

grin

aww, this post is very cute!!. sorry i couldn't help it. the best thing i
do is to flap or clap my hands at them when they go somewhere they shouldn't. it gets them off the surface they are on but it is no way deters them from going straight back on it if that's where they want to be.

sprinkles77 Mon 20-Jun-11 23:19:25

Don't bother. Either they're boring good or little shits normal. I've had mine nearly a year, she still sits on top of the door and launches at my head, sleeps in DS's cot and takes food off my plate, despite water pistols, shouting and hand flapping.

SecretNutellaFix Mon 20-Jun-11 23:23:10

When mine used to get up on the work tops I would hiss at them and deposit them on the floor straight away.

They now never go onto work surfaces and they leg it when they think I've spotted them on the table. Girlcat will try to brazen it out, but a quick "Get off there you damn furball" and a stern look does the trick. My boycat seems to get high from shoes and I've given up the clean washing pile as a lost cause.

frostyfingers Tue 21-Jun-11 09:10:04

"Teach a kitten" - ha, no chance! We have a hand reared ginger ninja and he does exactly what he likes, where he likes, when he likes. He knows damn well he's not supposed to go upstairs but he'll winkle his way through the door, glance over his shoulder and run like hell up and under the beds, under the duvet, in the airing cupboard. He's not as clever as the thinks though as his loud satisfied purr gives him away.

If he's really where he shouldn't be (kitchen sides/table) then I pick him up by his scruff and put him down where he shrugs, twitches his tail and looks as though he's saying "whatever" and stroll outside. And does it again when I'm not looking!

It's a phase - cats have lots of those - and she may or may not grow out of it, but if you have a cat you have to accept that they're in charge.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 21-Jun-11 10:21:11

Our cat has selective deafness, ignores dh yelling get off the tv but can hear a pack of cooked meat being opened a mile off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now