Talk

Advanced search

cone after neuterin?

(7 Posts)
nailak Sat 18-Jun-11 21:19:00

hi,

my cat was neutered yesterday, how lon are we suppossed to keep the cone on her head? she cant clean herself properly with it on? and how lon are we suppossed to keep her inside?

thank you.

Lizcat Sun 19-Jun-11 17:48:16

You can use a piece of tape to hold the cone on, you should be able to just get two fingers in under the tape with it done up. She can't clean herself and that unfortunately is the point as cats love to just clean their stitches out. Just shut the cat flap and doors and keep her in, this is a hassle, but the ongoing problems from a hernia due to ripping muscle stitches is much worse and very expensive.

purpleknittingmum Sun 19-Jun-11 17:51:34

When our male cat had his snip he came home in a cone as he kept washing and making himself bleed, they said they don't normally have to put the cone on!

Think he had to keep it on for a couple of days. He had a good wash and scratch around his ears once it was off, and he was really trying to wash his bits and he would just end up licking the cone!

sprinkles77 Sun 19-Jun-11 20:52:05

Is it a female cat? Ours had hers on and we kept her in till the stitches were removed. 2 weeks I think. I took it off at meal times and for 5 mins after so she could groom. Her cone had loops on it at the narrow end. I threaded her collar through them and did it up tight. Stayed on fine.

nailak Mon 20-Jun-11 17:39:48

ok so we shouldnt take it off! she is female, and has one to vet for check up now, after 3 days?

Geepers Mon 20-Jun-11 17:43:28

My cats were spayed a couple of weeks ago and we were told to keep the cone on for a full ten days.

nailak Mon 20-Jun-11 22:46:09

hmmm, we have come back from the vet and they said the cat has a temperature and have iven antibiotics ;(

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now