Talk

Advanced search

Help: Re-homing a cat: privately, or via an organisation?

(5 Posts)
Conflugenglugen Sat 18-Jun-11 19:18:59

After months of trying to ease the anxieties of a very stressed cat, I have very reluctantly and sadly decided to re-home her.

Background: She has been diagnosed with idiopathic cystitis - which the vet says is most likely stress-related; and her condition has deteriorated substantially over the past six months or so due to the arrival of two very aggressive cats who have decided our property is their own. They even staked it out from a lookout in a tree for some weeks, until I tracked down their hidey-hole and shooed them off. But there are points where she is terrified to go outside, and she has taken to weeing around the house - in fireplaces, on carpets, curtains, under cupboards, in the bath - in spite of my putting down three separate litter trays and encouraging her to use them, and showing how proud we are when she does.

She is obviously suffering. My husband and I discussed keeping her out of the house and letting her use the laundry on the side of the house, which has a cat flap outside ... but given that she is being terrorised by other cats, we would essentially be throwing her to the lions.

I can't think of anything else but to re-home her somewhere where the neighbourhood is less heavily contended, or with someone who is familiar with idiopathic cystitis and who knows how do manage it.

So, if we were to re-home, do we go privately? Or are their organisations who can help us ensure she goes to the best place possible?

Or, if someone has any suggestions as to how we can avoid re-homing but deal with this ourselves, I am all ears. I love her dearly and I am at my wits' end.

Thank you.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Sat 18-Jun-11 20:06:53

poor cat, and poor you
we had a very similar problem with one of our cats. bullying by 2 neighbouring feral toms led to our neutered male becoming a nervous wreck, (not to mention battered and bruised) and urinating at home 3-5 times daily.
we tried a couple of anti-stress measures: feliway hormone diffusers, and zylkene, which is an anti-anxiety milk protein supplement. also make sure she has access to litter trays.
sadly in our case neither worked, and we took the decision to rehome him. we returned him to the rescue we got him from (and gave a large donation), and they rehomed him in about 2 weeks to a quiet, cat-free home, where he is fine. cat chat is a good place to search for no-kill rescue organisations. start ringing round asap as they are very busy, and it will take a long time to get him a space. find out when they do most of their rehoming (usually saturdays) and ring the following day. cats' protection will put cats on the waiting list in situations like this, but it may take weeks or months to get a space.

Conflugenglugen Sun 19-Jun-11 10:35:44

Thank you so much for your advice, CBS - I'll visit cat chat this week. We're prepared to wait to find a good home, so at least the pressure is off in that regard.

Much appreciated!

-- Conflug

Elk Sun 19-Jun-11 15:31:59

cats protection have a do not destroy policy and help with rehoming cats

Conflugenglugen Sun 19-Jun-11 17:52:06

After talking with my husband, we have decided to take another approach - lavish her with affection and positive reinforcement - and see if that doesn't work. If not, then we'll just keep cleaning up after her. Having done a bit of research, the rehoming places around here are inundated, and I don't want to put her in a halfway house for any longer than is absolutely necessary. As my husband says, she's "with the band". I can't argue with that. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now