Talk

Advanced search

Please help, we can't cope with this

(4 Posts)
Spagbolagain Sat 18-Jun-11 13:08:16

We have 2 lovely cats, rescued neutered males who have been with us for about 7 years. In the last 12 months one or both of them has started spraying around the house and it's getting worse and worse. From everything I have read, this is usually a response in a cat that feels threatened or anxious, but this in no way describes my 2. They are happy and relaxed, very confident, and they actually cause problems for other people as they are the top cats in the area, and will go rampaging through other peoples' cat flaps, and this causes a bit of bother too as one of them appears to be terrorizing a neighbour's cat and stealing his food. (that's another thread though I thinksad)

We take care to remove any spray with washing powder, and wiping with surgical spirit. They sleep in the kitchen/diner at night and spray in there virtually every day. I have stopped letting them into the rest of the house as I can't deal with them spraying the rest of the curtains, beds etc. But now if they get the slightest chance to get upstairs, they are up there and spraying in 10 seconds.

We don't have a problem with other cats coming in the cat flap (my 2 would see them off) and they get on well 99% of the time, any squabbles are minor and short-lived, and the spraying does not follow these.
They are otherwise happy and affectionate, so I just don't know what to do, we can't carry on like this. Would I be better trying to find a new home for one of them?

ExpatAgain Sat 18-Jun-11 13:15:49

have you moved hte furniture/just had a baby/new cats in neighbourhood??
must be somehting different to affect their behaviour so much?

Spagbolagain Sat 18-Jun-11 13:20:30

Haven't moved anything, no new cats afaik, my DS is 20 months so I guess that could be related from a timing POV. We did introduce them slowly from the beginning, got the cats used to all the baby stuff before he was born, let them sniff him and share smells etc. They don't really seem to mind him tbh though, happy to accept stroking from him, will greet him with head butts etc, and now we let him put their dinner bowls down, so I thought they had accepted him as part of the family. But maybe not.......but I can't send him back grin

Lizcat Sat 18-Jun-11 13:47:21

Whilst removing the smell for you you are also removing the smells that make them feel relaxed in their own environment. This is where feliway can really help it is the same feline pheromones that make them feel relaxed, but you can't smell them. A plug in, in the kitchen should significantly help with this problem. For further suggestions check here FAB.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now