Talk

Advanced search

You'd think the vet would listen, wouldn't you?

(11 Posts)
knockinonyerdoor Thu 16-Jun-11 20:02:32

Took our big old male cat to the vets today for his shots, our vet wasn't there so we saw a new one. I explained that he will not tolerate anyone touching his mouth, so asked if she could give him a worming tablet. Now, our usual vet uses a plastic thingy and does it very fast; me and DH can do it if DH gets him in a death grip and I wrestle with the head end. New Vet looked very hmm and said she didn't like the plastic thing. So I held him and NV grabbed his head and tried to give him the tablet.

I honestly thought she was going to lose fingers.

She went shock and said "He's feisty, isn't he?" grin. And then got the plastic thing and asked me to hold him again. I did, and this time he snarled at her and bloody nearly got her fingers anyway. So she decided to leave it, and do the examination instead. And what did she try to do first? Look in his mouth.

He had his ears flat to his head and was GROWLING at her, should have given her a clue...

We now have worming drops for the back of his neck. grin

mouseanon Thu 16-Jun-11 20:05:26

You've gotta love a cat with character LOL!

TheOriginalFAB Thu 16-Jun-11 20:07:02

LOL LOL LOL

FABULOUS cat grin.

msrisotto Thu 16-Jun-11 20:12:23

grin Great cat grin

When I was 12 or so, took our cat to the vets with my mum. Vet was poking cat, can't remember what he was doing but I said "He's going to scratch you" - vet said, "I've dealt with a lot of cats before, i'm very experienced" Blah Blah Blah. I repeated "He's going to get you". And he did. Blood was pouring from the man's hand. He should've listened.

msrisotto Thu 16-Jun-11 20:12:50

Why do we like vicious cats? We're weird.

clayre Thu 16-Jun-11 20:13:14

Our vet offered us worming tablets for the cats last week i told her just to give me the drops to put on, i value my blood supply!!

This is the same vet that commented on the large cats large size then in the next breath said he had tarter on his teeth and asked if he was eating ok!!!!

Joolyjoolyjoo Thu 16-Jun-11 20:20:24

grin. this is why when owners ask me if I can worm their cat for them, I always say "I don't know, but I will try if you like!"

And I always do it at the end of an exam, when I have got the measure of the beast a bit and don't have to do anything further to a potentially enraged cat!! You only get one shot with cats- if that doesn't work, you need to leave it- thank god for drop-on wormers!

I do always listen to owners who warn me about their animal. Forewarned is fore-armed, IMO. having said that, the ones that owners warn you about very rarely seem to bite you- it's the ones where the owners say "he's just a big softie/ just scared- he won't touch you!" that nearly always try to shred you or eat you whole!!

dilemma247 Thu 16-Jun-11 20:23:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

knockinonyerdoor Thu 16-Jun-11 20:24:05

Well exactly Jooly! I mean, common sense would say to do it last, but nooo, she had to go and do it first and get him all riled up!

Lizcat Thu 16-Jun-11 23:02:42

The less you touch cats the better. I have developed that unenviable reputation of being able to deal with the fiesty cats in the practice. My magic trick I let them sit on the table looking at me I touch the as little as I possibly can. I even take blood pressures or do blood glucoses with the cat just sticking a leg out of the box.
Cats do not like to be messed with and you have to respect them. Branston the South African lion cat taught me this very early on.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 17-Jun-11 07:45:35

Our tiny chinchilla cat always bit the vet. Every visit. When she had to be put down he cried and hugged my mum. Might have been relief though. She was only kitten sized.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now