Talk

Advanced search

My 2 rescue Siamese and their shocking behaviour.

(17 Posts)
MumblingRagDoll Wed 15-Jun-11 01:21:53

Well ok...it's not THAT shocking but it is a pita. I adopted 2 brothers...Siamese 6 year olds and they;re so lovely. Well litter trained, affectionate and neat.

They are not used to going out too much but have been enjoying little forays into the garden to hunt moths and eat grass....they do this through th evening and come in and out. But EVERY night at around midnight they have a crazed cat time...which means they tear up and down the stairs...from room to room and all around the furniture stalking one another.

They carry on even after I go to bed....eventually they go to sleep under my bed....but the crazyness goes on for a long time.

Is there anything I can do?

MadamDeathstare Wed 15-Jun-11 01:53:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MumblingRagDoll Wed 15-Jun-11 07:47:36

It's a nightmare Madam they're both bullies...and thought they love each other, they think nothing of launching themselves on top of one another from great heights and roughing one another up.

They also stare and "talk" at me when I am working.

KatyMac Wed 15-Jun-11 07:50:21

I adopted 2 orientals - 5 yr old sisters

I used Feliway for ages

2T2T Wed 15-Jun-11 10:13:27

could you confine them to a room where they can cause mayhem but not disturb you? Kitchen with comfy catbed or lounge maybe

MumblingRagDoll Wed 15-Jun-11 11:48:29

What is feliway Katy?

I have tried to put them in one room at night and they go MEEEEOOOOW MEEEEOOOW! Really loudly and also scratch the carpet up!

KatyMac Wed 15-Jun-11 14:17:21

It's like drugs for cats

& chills them out

snailoon Wed 15-Jun-11 14:22:40

They sound absolutely adorable. I love it when my cats go mad, but I'm a crazy cat fanatic.

lubeybooby Wed 15-Jun-11 14:31:24

Definitely recommend a feliway diffuser. I have three cats and can always tell when the cartidge needs changing because because they start griping at each other and doing the mad chasing round the house again

Teds77 Wed 15-Jun-11 17:07:12

My cats used to have their 'mad half hour' at about midnight but they seem to have grown out of it. I don't know whether this is age or whether they just realise that we ignore them! Not really sure! Most nights now, bless them, they wait on the landing outside the bedroom door as we get ready for bed and then hop on our toes as soon as we're settled... blush

Their 'mad half hour' was more running around rather than actual 'fighting'. The fighting still takes place 2-3 a week. Often they will be snuggled next to each other and one of them will just swipe at the other for no reason and a fight ensues. They were rugby tackling each other this morning and left great chucks of hair everywhere but they were pals again five minutes later... Not sure there is much to be done about this! Brotherly love and all that grin

peggotty Wed 15-Jun-11 17:12:39

Have you tried tiring them out more during the day? Buy some cat toys, like those mice on string type things and let them chase them about madly for about half an hour before you go to bed. If they don't go outside much they're maybe not burning off much excess energy and it may be down to you to provide their exercise grin. Worth a try?

MumblingRagDoll Wed 15-Jun-11 17:38:27

They blinking hide all day....in varous quiet spots such as on top of the wardrobe...they're true nocturnals. Should I let them out more? They have no been out the front yet...we live in a quiet cul-de-sac. Will they get stolen or lost?

They've been here for 4 weeks now....theres no traffic here.

MadamDeathstare Wed 15-Jun-11 18:40:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MumblingRagDoll Wed 15-Jun-11 18:44:45

Do you think they would be ok to go out the front?

KilledBill Mon 20-Jun-11 16:39:48

This is classic behaviour for these types of breeds, I have a bengal and he is exactly the same, has his mad half hour before bed and sometimes in the day.

Some cats do grow out of it, possibly carry on for longer with these breeds though. I dont mind because I find it funny, he just has to be told sometimes because he will run into the bedroom and attack our feet under the quilt. Almost lost a toe in my sleep once!

tabulahrasa Tue 21-Jun-11 15:49:24

I have a Siamese, before we got another cat she used to just run round manically - at least yours have a bit of a purpose, lol.

Just answer them when they stare and talk at you, they either want food or attention and if it's food they'll settle for affection anyway, well that's the case with mine.

I let mine out, have done since she was neutered, I suppose people are more likely to want to steal her? She'd not let them though, lol, you'll know what it's like to catch an unco-operative cat and she avoids cars, in fact she's quite a nervy wee thing outside, doesn't go near people or anything that moves, much more so than the other cat (who's just a bog standard tabby) So I figure of the two of them the Siamese is probably safer.

It didn't stop her mad half hour though, she just incorporated the back garden into her running round, so she runs round the garde, in the back door throught the kitchen, round the living room and back out to start again.

On teh plus side, once you're shutting the door after they're used to being out - you'll never not hear them asking to get back in, rofl

claretandcheese Wed 22-Jun-11 23:59:42

I had a burmese who once bounced off my (astonished) DH's boss's chest during a mad half hour. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now