Talk

Advanced search

Advice on handling this situation please - rehoming an older cat and getting two kitten

(4 Posts)
RitaMorgan Sun 12-Jun-11 20:31:59

Sorry, not sure if the title is entirely clear!

My parents are getting two 2 month old kittens at the beginning of July. Today, they have ended up adopting an older cat (around 7 years old we think) in a bit of an emergency situation. This cat (Kitty) is probably more than a little traumatised as she has been separated from her littermate and old owners and moved to a new home very suddenly. Kitty is currently in hiding behind a bookcase and doesn't seem likely to come out anytime soon.

My question is basically, how should they deal with introducing these new kittens in a couple of weeks time? Although they've owned cats before they have been single cats, and they've had them from kittens, so both rehoming an older cat and introducing new kittens isn't something they've dealt with.

Any advice/tips/ideas very welcome!

VivaLeBeaver Sun 12-Jun-11 20:38:12

Personally I would get Kitty and keep her in one room only for now - and ideally a room that she won't use a lot when she has the run of the house. So maybe the bathroom? Keeper her shut in there.

Now normally I'd say to do this with every new cat so they get used to their new home gradually but normally I'd say just keep them in this room for a few days.

But in this case I'd say do it for a couple of weeks until the kittens come. Otherwise Kitty will just have got used to her new home and then have a big new upheaval in her life of the kittens arriving. She'd see them as newcomers and probably not be very happy.

However if Kitty is allowed to explore the rest of the house at the same time that the kittens are coming maybe they will all settle in together a bit better?

RitaMorgan Mon 13-Jun-11 10:54:50

The bathroom is pretty small - not sure it would be fair to keep her cooped up for 2 weeks? She's in the conservatory at the moment though and could be kept in there until the kittens arrive. Maybe the kittens could initially be kept in the kitchen and they could all be released into the rest of the house at the same time? Could always keep feeding them in their own rooms so they have their own territories.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 13-Jun-11 12:56:44

That sounds a good plan. Hope it works.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: