Talk

Advanced search

New cats and toddlers, do they mix?

(5 Posts)
Allhearingallknowing Fri 10-Jun-11 15:58:25

I have a nearly 3yr old and 18 month dts, and was thinking about getting a cat.

My dt2 is incredibly shy and panics when around anyone but me, dp or her siblings. But she really comes out of her shell when around animals, walks right up to them and starts babbling. It is incredible the transformation in her and it seems to really help her.

My dp says to wait until they are older as it's unfair on the cat, so was wondering what others experiences are of bringing a cat into a home with small children.

1Catherine1 Fri 10-Jun-11 18:53:29

it is doable as long as you are firm with your children about how they treat the cat. I would say you should get a cat that is young but not a kitten anymore. Old cats tend to be stuck in their ways and can be stressed out by young children and kittens don't realize how easily they can hurt others and they require a lot of time and attention. If you choose to get a kitten though I would say get 2 kittens from the same litter as 2 kittens are easier than one.

Children and cats do mix if properly supervised

Bananamash Tue 14-Jun-11 18:29:05

I'd suggest you go to a rescue and explain everything truthfully nd see what they suggest. They will have assessed the different temperaments of cats in their care and know which will be happy with children.

We got our rescue cat about 2 months ago. Not through a rescue actually but through our vets- the owners two cats were fightin very badly and she had to give one up. Our cat was fostered by the vet for a week until he came home with us. He had never lived with dogs or children before but now he does not bat an eyelid. The vet said he wouldn't but i wasn't convinced until i saw it! (tho remember it takes a while for them to serttle in- about a week in our case. Now he marches around the house bossing the dog about!)

Lizcat Thu 16-Jun-11 13:34:05

DD was 3 when Arrogant posh boy arrived with his ego in our house at the age of 7 weeks. We were very firm with DD as to how much abuse APB could take. 4 years on he adores her and loves to be on the bed at story time. Adults he only takes a limited amount from before he bites hard, children can do pretty much anything to him with no biting.
As a vet your experience with dt2 is very common animals are non-judgemental (not saying you are) and therefore easier to open up to, this is the core of PAT therapy.

Allhearingallknowing Thu 16-Jun-11 16:21:05

Thank you all, we have a couple of cats that visit our garden (unfortunately to my flower beds!) and dt2 has been sitting at the back door waiting for them and even told my mum "cat garden" today and my dm was welling up cos she hadn't heard her say a word until then.

Still working on dp as he is not a cat person but you have made it seem a lot less daunting than I thought it would be!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now