Talk

Advanced search

I need some advice about getting a kitten!

(7 Posts)
Vegeeta Fri 03-Jun-11 12:47:25

Hello everyone!

First to preface my question a little background:

My wifey and I have had cats before, we love them and are no strangers to keeping pets etc. We had a cat previously before our DD was born and while he was fine with her, one we moved house a year later he pounced on her twice unprovoked so we had to rehome him.

Our DD is now 3.5 years old, very gentle and affectionate.

A customer of mine has offered me an 11 week old kitten.

Good idea or bad? Help!!

Madlizzy Fri 03-Jun-11 12:49:39

I wouldn't at the age your DD is unless you could 100% guarantee that they'd never be in the same room on their own. 3 year olds can and have killed kittens due to rough handling, even when they didn't mean to hurt the kitten. Even gentle children.

Just my opinion though.

clayre Fri 03-Jun-11 12:49:52

Bad idea if you re homed one already cos it pounced twice, a kitten may not be friendly either and you may re home it too!

Selks Fri 03-Jun-11 12:52:01

If you think you can provide a loving home with plenty of attention for the kitten as well as your DD, then why not? She's at an age where you can begin to teach her about how to be kind to the kitten and handle it gently, and she'll probably love having it around.
But make sure you have enough info on the kitten and have seen it before you decide, as you nheed to make sure it's the right kitten for your household.
If all the above is favourable, I'd go for it. smile

Vegeeta Fri 03-Jun-11 13:24:57

Thank you for all of the quick replies!

On the subject of the cat we rehomed...
I blame myself for this one as before our daughter came along, he was the baby of the family. I am ashamed to admit it but once our DD came along I just didnt have the time I once did. Don't get me wrong, he was never ignored or anything like that but I feel that the combination of not being the baby and then us moving house soon after was what pushed him over his limit.
Believe me, I will regret how this went till the day I die!!

I can guarantee that our DD will never be alone with him as my DW is a SAM smile

Teds77 Fri 03-Jun-11 14:38:46

I think there was a post recently about a kitten and a young-ish child. The little boy had wanted a kitten but when it arrived I think he ended up very scared of it - might be worth a search.

Teds77 Fri 03-Jun-11 14:41:58

Here you go -

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/the_litter_tray/1213325-5-yr-old-DS-and-new-kitten

Seems like kittens and toddlers do work in the end - just might be a bedding in period.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: