Talk

Advanced search

Cat was sent home from vets with 'obesity management' food sample

(25 Posts)
Ormirian Thu 02-Jun-11 19:37:01

because she is FAT! She was 5.7kg when we got her (adopted) but she has put on 2lbs. So when we went for check up and vacs the vet told me she needed to diet.

Any tips on making one cat diet when you have another perfectly normal cat in the house. Oh and also when you strongly suspect that she is getting fed in more than one house hmm

Ormirian Thu 02-Jun-11 19:38:11

NOT 2 lbs! Point 2 of a kg

whomovedmychocolate Thu 02-Jun-11 19:41:35

I feel your pain, I have had several rescue cats that get fat. If she's female it's actually quite common post sterilisation because they get lazier! Right, you need to feed both cats at the same time in different rooms. Do not allow the fat cat to exit till the other cat has eaten their food. Do not worry about them hunting and getting extra food, the energy taken to catch a mouse will equal the calorie value! Get a collar with DO NOT FEED written on it (Pets at home or online) and put it on fat cat.

whomovedmychocolate Thu 02-Jun-11 19:42:19

.2 of a kilo isn't very much though.

I had a cat who weighed two stone (he was incredibly big).

Ormirian Thu 02-Jun-11 19:47:38

Thanks whomoved. Thing is she is only small under the blubber - same build and roughly same age as our other mog who weighs just under 3 kg.

I could feed one in the conservatory and the other in the kitchen I guess. The vet suggested I talk to the neighbours but as they are dozens of potential feeders her that might be a problem grin a tag would be good.

desperatelyseekingsnoozes Thu 02-Jun-11 19:50:12

Was it called Catsize and you know seeing the light.

whomovedmychocolate Thu 02-Jun-11 19:53:21

Do not feed collar

mousymouse Thu 02-Jun-11 19:53:22

desperate grin

desperatelyseekingsnoozes Thu 02-Jun-11 19:54:48

Sorry my keys are sticking, I meant to say are you now seeing the light?

I need to top up my wine.

minieggfannomore Thu 02-Jun-11 19:56:40

We have exactly this problem. Fat cat is still fat despite all efforts to slim her down.

whomovedmychocolate Thu 02-Jun-11 19:57:54

You could chase your fat cat around a lot - you will probably lose more weight than she does but it will entertain your neighbours grin

Ormirian Thu 02-Jun-11 20:30:29

Lol! Perhaps I could take her running with me trailing a tin of tuna behind me

whomovedmychocolate Thu 02-Jun-11 20:32:38

Please youtube it if you do.

Lizcat Fri 03-Jun-11 09:46:33

You also try making your plump cat work for her food. This involves collection toilet rolls and making a pyramid. Then rather than putting the kibble in a bowl which uses virtually no energy to eat. You place pieces in the centre of the loo rolls so she has to use her hunting skills to get the bits out. Or you could use a buster ball that you fill with the kibble and she has to chase it round and pounce on it to release food.

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 03-Jun-11 09:51:29

It is tricky - the less we fed our Fat cat the more she seemed to sleep. Then we got our Very Bad Kitten. Fat cat no longer got any peace and dropped so much weight the vet did blood tests to check there was nothing wrong.

tabulahrasa Fri 03-Jun-11 13:02:22

can I jump in and ask the opposite question?

How do I stop the kitten eating ill cat's food? She whomping down all the ridiculously expensive food I've bought that is being left hanging around.

I was leaving it down so she might go back to it, but I can't because the kitten's eaten 3 portions already today hmm

Neither of them can get it if I put it in the fridge though can they, so that's not going to help much, lol.

The poor kitten has now been shut outside and she's staring through the patio door completely unable to understand why there's nice food there and she can't have it.

whomovedmychocolate Sat 04-Jun-11 17:33:59

Feed them in different rooms. Or feed them at different times and clingfilm over the food if the other cat is nicking it when sick cat is not around. I have one of those food things where the cat has to stand on the side of the dish to open a flap for food, which seems to fox most cats. If your sick cat is smarter than your kitten it might work for you.

pinkhebe Sun 05-Jun-11 13:51:23

we're accidently feeding someones cat, as he keeps coming in and eating all our cats food!

Ormirian Sun 05-Jun-11 13:54:45

Going ok. I know a lot of people will be horrified but we are feeding Lola on the kitchen worktop (on newspaper). Fatcat can't get up there. She doesn't much care for her diet food but she eats it eventually when she realises it's all she's getting!

clayre Sun 05-Jun-11 14:03:38

We are taking our cats for their vacs on friday and i know the boy cats size is going to be the main issue sad we try but with 2 other cats its hard to monitor everything he eats!

tabulahrasa Sun 05-Jun-11 22:54:01

lol at the cat being smarter than the kitten - Willow is a lovely lovely cat, but um, no, not the sharpest crayon in the box

She's actually currently eating again, so that's fixed it just now, but she probably won't be again in a few days. sad

Clingfilm would keep Flump out of her food, but that works the same as the fridge, I'd have to keep giving it back to her. I can do different rooms, but it means shutting one of them in or out of somewhere, which seems cruel, I was hoping maybe there was a dead easy solution that I'd missed, lol

It's not that she's not around it's that she just wasn't eating it, so then Flump was getting it and then Willow would come back looking like maybe she did want some now, so desperate to feed her up I was trying again - with the same result, rofl.

Flump was ecstatic at this though to be fair, every-time she appeared in the kitchen there was nice food there for her, I swear she put on weight by the hour, lol.

I quite like your worktop solution ormirian - in theory my cats aren't allowed up there, but what actually happens is that they don't go up there if they think I'm watching, if I'm looking away or in another room they seen to think they're fair game hmm so I've just resigned myself to assuming that there has been a cat up there and to clean accordingly before I use them.

I need somewhere Willow can get that Flump can't, but as I've yet to find anywhere that she doesn't get into...the only way the toilet roll is safe is to keep it on a shelf with the bathroom door shut and she's still managing to make confetti, rofl (of course it doesn't help that my children don't seem to understand the concept of shutting doors)

whomovedmychocolate Sun 05-Jun-11 22:59:04

Ha! Mine opens the fridge door when he's hungry. He's a bengal though, they are weirdly clever cats.

Ormirian Mon 06-Jun-11 10:39:52

Bugger! Just had to remove FatCat from the worktop. Another theory blown out of the water.

whomovedmychocolate Mon 06-Jun-11 12:42:37

I'd just accept you have a lardarse cat if I were you Orm. Some cats as they get older just do spread out and become large. So what. They are going to die anyway sooner or later, if they are happy and not suffering from diabetes it hardly matters. Sometimes I think if you didn't take your cat to the vet the cat would have just as good an experience of life and you wouldn't have to buy special food (incidentally if you DO stick with the diet, google the food and get it cheaper from online vets).

SparklyCloud Mon 06-Jun-11 20:03:53

I find the dry food can put the weight on, its so easy to over feed. maybe just feed wet for a bit?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: