Talk

Advanced search

Microchip activated cat flaps?

(24 Posts)
sylvev Tue 31-May-11 08:28:58

Hi, we have 3 cats and 2 of them are stressed out by the local bully-cat getting in and eating food etc. We can't use the magnetic catflaps, as our youngest cat seems incapable of keeping a collar on for more than 2 days and then can't get in! Our vet recommended the microchip-activated flaps as all the cats are chipped. Anyone got one and would you recommend?

tribpot Tue 31-May-11 08:33:59

Will keep an eye on this thread as we are planning to get the same. Our cat is anti-collar and a microchip-activated flap seems like the best solution. Major problem is that the door is glass! So any thoughts on how to put a cat flap in also welcome smile

ThisIsJustASagaNow Tue 31-May-11 08:38:32

Will also watch this with interest (sorry not much help to sylvev though). We've been thinking of getting one too, but as they're more £ than a normal catflaps have been dithering.

tribpot Tue 31-May-11 08:56:56

Just thought I'd have a look to see what microchip cat flaps there are, as it occurred to me to wonder how you would 'lock' the flap to only your cats if you have more than one.

I like the look of this one. According to the manual you basically prime the flap and then 'beep' your cat at it in the manner of a supermarket checkout (but in a humane way).

I like the fact it's got some clever features like vet mode (let them in, don't them back out again) and similarly night mode (detect amount of light, let them in, don't let them back out again - can't see Harry Potter the cat understanding that one).

NotQuiteCockney Tue 31-May-11 09:13:26

We have one. I don't thikn it's the Pet Porte, it's one that takes batteries, rather than needing to be connected to the mains. We've been very happy with it.

Ours won't stop cats from going out, at all, but I'm ok with that, we were just fed up with one particular cat coming in and annoying our (elderly) cat.

sylvev Tue 31-May-11 10:12:59

Yes, I think we might go for the sureflap which is battery operated. It seems to have good reviews. I just want to stop this tomcat freaking out our cats, 2 of them have had cystitis this week, which is horrible for them and expensive at the vets sad
Thanks for comments, shall keep researching.......

Lizcat Tue 31-May-11 13:04:04

I have the Sureflap and it has been great. You just need to remember to wipe wound the flap once a week to stop dirt preventing chip reading.

Teds77 Tue 31-May-11 14:43:06

I have a Sureflap and it's been great too for my two and well worth the money. They don't get bothered and don't have to wear collars. I only clear it periodically and it works fine.

MissFoodie Tue 31-May-11 21:00:28

I had a saga for 6 months with an intruder, bought the pet porte and the intruder managed to break in.....they replaced it and the intruder was still able to break in to the 2nd one....they then replaced it for a sureflap and it HAS worked! no intruder for over a year now!!!!
DEFINITELY WORTH IT!!!!
smile

MissFoodie Tue 31-May-11 21:01:03

and i've yet to clean it or change the batteries.....!

Lizcat Wed 01-Jun-11 13:46:43

I probably have to clean it as mobile mop my dog puts his nose on it and slobbers all over it when he wants to come in and pokes his head out to bark when there is some intruder in the garden.
Evil intruder cat had a very bruised face the first day sureflap was in place.

RamblingRosa Fri 03-Jun-11 09:50:16

Did the microchip catflap fit the same hole as normal cat flap? I was wondering about getting one but wasn't sure if we'd have to cut a big hole in the door. someone told me they're much bigger.

MissFoodie Fri 03-Jun-11 15:18:18

no, they are standard size

RamblingRosa Fri 03-Jun-11 15:46:07

thanks.

Lizcat Sat 04-Jun-11 11:13:09

It seems that every single flap on the market is a very slightly different shape and screw hole position, but it is not difficult to get it right. Actually the Sureflap was ever so slightly smaller than our previous flap so I needed to drill two new holes.

RamblingRosa Tue 07-Jun-11 08:42:23

OK, this might be a really stupid question but I've never fitted a cat flap before so bear with me smile Are they designed so you fit it yourself or is it a job for a handyman? We've already got a catflap (was already in the house when we bought it) but I want to change it to a microchip or magnetic one). Will it be a straightforward job I can do with a screwdriver or is it more complicated than that?

dontstopbelieving Tue 07-Jun-11 08:45:41

I'm a veterinary nurse and would recommend sureflap. Www.sureflap.co.uk

MissFoodie Fri 10-Jun-11 14:23:53

I fitted all (3!) of mine, but had to get adaptor for the last sureflap as the door was too thick......v annoying.....do you have a hole already?

I got a carpenter to do the hole!

johnworf Mon 13-Jun-11 21:13:09

We have a Sureflap and it's been fantastic. Our cat comes and goes as he likes and no other cats can get in.

As for fitting, we asked the company that fitted our uPVC door to do it. Took 20 minutes and they charged us £20. Well worth it as my DH is hopeless at DIY.

ParsleyLion1 Tue 14-Jun-11 21:14:34

We have the Pet Porte, it's great - particularly found the night time setting and vet setting useful. I had one or two teething issues with it but the follow up customer service is fab

pinkhebe Sat 25-Jun-11 13:15:30

after finding someone else cat asleep in our room in the middle of the night, I've bought one of these from pet planet £70 for the pet porte.

That's 2 different cats who seem to like our place.

MissFoodie Mon 27-Jun-11 12:27:38

LOL Pinkhebe....so you went for the pet porte then? let us know if it works for you, my intruders managed to break through two of them...the sureflap is the only one that's worked so far

pinkhebe Tue 28-Jun-11 11:47:46

I only chose the pet porte because it's cheaper!

extra cat has been sleeping in the house for about 5 nights now, I've got quite used to it.

pinkhebe Fri 01-Jul-11 21:55:49

Second night using the microchip cat flap - and so far no extra cat. We need to sort out the wire as the flap is in a door, dh thinks all we need to do is train an extension wire around. That'll get done by 2013 grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now