Talk

Advanced search

Cassie is missing

(12 Posts)
OhWesternWind Sat 28-May-11 20:14:10

We've not seen her since Thursday! She is only young (1) and very curious/nosy and accident prone. We have been up and down the road calling and have also put notes through the neighbours' doors and on the village noticeboard asking people to check garages/sheds. I've been trying the local animal shelter for two days but can't get through.

She has a collar on - right address but I have just realised it has our old phone number which I changed a couple of weeks ago due to abusive ex. She is microchipped (correct phone number there)!

Anyone got any suggestions what else we can do? The children are very upset, especially my son as she is his "special cat".

I think she has got shut in somewhere - as soon as she sees an open door she is through it, cupboards or anything - but time is getting on and I'm worried she won't last for that much longer if there is no water.

Please keep your fingers crossed that she comes back soon.

Selks Sat 28-May-11 20:39:46

Sorry to hear that Cassie has gone awol. She may very well come back - one of my cats disappeared for a full week, and just re-appeared one day looking a little baffled but none the worse for it. I have no idea why/where he went. Cats often do this. But do keep asking around with the neighbours, get them to check anything that she could have got accidentally shut in, and phone the local vet in case she has been brought in hurt for any reason.

Fingers crossed - and tell your children about my cat called Prince who went on holiday and came home safe and sound.

OhWesternWind Sat 28-May-11 21:23:24

Thanks for your kind words Selks - here's hoping we have a happy return just like Prince smile

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 28-May-11 22:15:32

Have you put posters up and in the local shop/post office? Is she neutered? If not she could be with a tom.

ExpatMummyInOz Sun 29-May-11 13:33:38

If she is a year old and un-neutered, then she is almost certainly in heat, and it's quite common for females to go off for a week or so. They generally come back home once they have mated! If she isn't desexed and she turns up, please get her booked in to be spayed as soon as possible.

I would recommend phoning around all your local vet surgeries - if people find what they assume if a 'lost' cat, they quite often take them along to their nearest vet. Continue to try the local animal shelter and maybe a small advert in the LOST/FOUND section of your local newspaper.

Putting up LOST posters in local schools and community centres is also worthwhile; basically any places where groups of people meet etc.

Hope this helps, and I hope she does turn up home safe and sound.

ExpatMummyInOz Sun 29-May-11 13:38:25

If she is a year old and un-neutered, then she is almost certainly in heat, and it's quite common for females to go off for a week or so. They generally come back home once they have mated! If she isn't desexed and she turns up, please get her booked in to be spayed as soon as possible.

I would recommend phoning around all your local vet surgeries - if people find what they assume if a 'lost' cat, they quite often take them along to their nearest vet. Continue to try the local animal shelter and maybe a small advert in the LOST/FOUND section of your local newspaper.

Putting up LOST posters in local schools and community centres is also worthwhile; basically any places where groups of people meet etc.

Hope this helps, and I hope she does turn up home safe and sound.

OhWesternWind Sun 29-May-11 21:36:09

Hi everyone and thanks for your replies. Yes, she is neutered so I don't think she has gone off after a tom.

Good idea about the vets etc - I will call them once they are open on Tuesday and see if ther is any joy there. I got through to the animal shelter and they were very good, very reassuring, but no news.

My neighbour across the road has been away since the time Cassie went missing so I am hoping that she has got shut in their house and nipped in without them noticing whilst they were faffing about putting things in their car. Not sure when they are back though. Have peeped through the window but couldn't see her, but I am hoping!

We don't have any shops/post offices/schools etc locally - the nearest anything is about a mile away but I will go to the other noticeboards at the ends of the village and put up notices there.

Thanks again for all your help, fingers staying crossed.

CallMeSusan Mon 30-May-11 12:01:16

Our cat who is also nearly 1 year old went missing 3 weeks ago, (sadly we haven't found him yet). If your cat is microchipped then you should be notified if she is found and scanned. However, I phoned everyone to log him as missing - the RSPCA, the CPL, the microchip company, the council, (some have a scanner to check any dead cats found by the side of the road, and some don't). I phoned all the vets in town and put a poster up in each one. I put posters in shops and anywhere I could find a notice board! I put flyers with his photo on through nearly the whole estate where I live, I put ads in the 2 local newspapers, I put his details on our towns facebook page, and posted on our local CPL facebook page.

However, the most response I have had has been from the posters I have put up - everywhere! Make sure you put up lots of posters with a photo. Also, if your cat is insured you can get posters etc. done by a company called animal search uk and its covered by the insurance. I didn't do this as had already done my own. Oh, also I put my cats 'missing' details on various internet sites inc animal search, gumtree etc.

Some useful advice I was given is if you have a litter tray indoors then put the old litter in the garden and also a piece of your worn clothing as they can smell it if they are not too far away. Also, check if there are any empty properties around for sale/rent and get the estate agents to check inside.

I really hope that you find your cat. Mine has been missing for nearly 3 weeks and it's the worst thing ever and I have given up home now of him coming home really. I've had a lot of potential sitings but none have been him. People have been very kind though. Good luck x

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 30-May-11 14:22:44

Does anyone have keys to your neighbours house? Or their mobile number? Have you tried calling her through the letterbox? Maybe they only went away for the weekend and not all of half term.

ExpatMummyInOz Tue 31-May-11 01:41:42

Yes, I would also go and peer through the letter box whilst banging a tin of cat food at the neighbours house, if you think there is a chance she could be shut in there. No-one will mistake you for a burgler if you are making so much noise!

Cats do wander off and can be quite upsettingly fickle with their attention, so it could be that she has just attached herself to another house, especially if they are feeding her. This has happened to me with one of my much-loved and spoilt rescue cats, who just suddenly buggered off and made herself at home with a family across the street!

Don't give up hope yet - another of mine went missing for nearly 3 weeks and then turned up home late one night.

Keeping fingers crossed for you.

CheeseandGherkins Tue 31-May-11 01:48:54

One of ours, Sid, has been missing since December sad No sign of him at all, was only 1 and a half and a small cat. I hope Cassie turns up.

OhWesternWind Wed 01-Jun-11 19:58:04

Still no sign, neighbours back so no luck there. Have put up notices on all the village noticeboards plus the shops in the next village along.

I'm trying to keep positive but it's almost a week now so it isn't looking too good. But thank you all for your messages and I am hoping for the safe return of all your precious pets too. I keep telling myself, they turn up weeks or even months later so you never know!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: