Talk

Advanced search

My cat has liver failure. What are the signs that the time has come?

(75 Posts)
FourFortyFour Fri 25-Feb-11 20:45:06

sadsad.

Maud2011 Fri 25-Feb-11 21:57:41

Oh no, FourFortyFour, I'm so sorry to hear that sad. I don't know anything about this from personal experience but can your vet give you an idea?

Here are a couple of links to sites that might be useful:

http://www.catchat.org/
http://www.fabcats.org/owners/index.php

whomovedmychocolate Fri 25-Feb-11 22:01:42

I'm very sorry to hear this. I lost one of mine to liver failure seven years ago.

Here's a bit of info

With Ols, he lost a lot of weight, was very lethargic, his eyes were yellow and his breath stank. He just looked very ill. And we decided to have him PTS when he stopped eating, because he clearly didn't have any quality of life anymore. I think the trigger point was when he got gum bleeding though, poor bugger. Then DH didn't want me to take him but I insisted because he was just clearly absolutely miserable and it isn't fair to keep them alive so you don't have to grieve.

How old is your cat?

FourFortyFour Fri 25-Feb-11 22:03:24

She is 16. She bit me earlier and tried to hit me. grin. I feel I know her and will now but worry I won't itms.

FourFortyFour Fri 25-Feb-11 22:03:51

NOW KNOW

girliefriend Fri 25-Feb-11 22:09:04

I think you know when your cat has had enough and their quality of life is non existant. Also if they stop eating, start miowing for no real reason or become incontinent I think are signs the time has prob come sad

Sorry she is so poorly but 16 is a good age, heartbreaking to make the final decision though sad sad

whomovedmychocolate Fri 25-Feb-11 22:19:52

16 is a good age for a cat. Sounds like she still has a bit of spirit in her. When she can't be bothered to do that anymore, you'll know it's time.

FourFortyFour Fri 25-Feb-11 22:31:42

I think she has wee wee issues as it smells in her bedroom sad.

Mermaidmad Sat 26-Feb-11 17:49:19

Ahh fourfotyfour I know how you feel. 2 weeks ago I had to PTS my 16yr old lady as she had late stage kidney disease, hardly any teeth left, arthritis and was weeing in my hallway. The vet still tried to convince me to have bloods done, dental, ongoing medication for kidneys and I just said 'I think she has had enough, don't you?' He looked at me, nodded and said 'there are alot of people who are horrified when I suggest PTS until all options have been explored. I think you have been very realistic.'
So that was that. I was so sad but deep down I knew her time had come. She had lead a good life and seeing her so thin and miserable just wasn't fair on her.
Just wanted to say I know how you feel sad

FourFortyFour Sat 26-Feb-11 18:55:03

Oh I am so sorry to hear you have lost your lovely cat. sad.

I got teary this morning buying her meds and food and asking about tests in the vets surgery blush.

With my cat her kidneys have started to fail so hopefully we caught it early, the vet certainly seemed to imply we had, the problem is every little thing I am wondering is this it?

FourFortyFour Sun 27-Feb-11 09:33:33

I think the mess the other day must have been vomit but this morning it is the other end sad. I was told to look out for diarrhoea but do I call the vet after one incident?

FourFortyFour Sun 27-Feb-11 12:12:13

bump

Gay40 Sun 27-Feb-11 12:21:44

I feel very sad for you. My older cat has kidney problems and is on daily meds. She's OK right now but the vet said she could go downhill at any point from now.
Dreading it.

follyfoot Sun 27-Feb-11 12:24:01

Poor you FFF. All I can say is its been my experience with cats (and dogs) in the past that there will be a moment when you just 'know'. The doubt about whether the time has come will disappear and a kind of clarity takes over. It might just be a moment you look at them rather than any particular symptom, but you will know, because you love her.

Our vets are always happy to give telephone advice out of hours if you are worried, so maybe you could just call your vets and see what they think?

MissySmith Sun 27-Feb-11 12:24:59

I'm sorry to say,this is probably the last stage of liver failure.I lost one of my cats the same way.She was still eating till the very end too.

Ooopsadaisy Sun 27-Feb-11 12:25:09

So sad for you.

Our vet told me I would "just know" when the time had come to to take 17 year old Tom to the vets for the goodbye injection.

He had increasing problems with kidneys and liver and was eating less and less, weeing enormous, smelly quantities and his poo was horrendous.

One day I came downstairs and he had been sick/pooed and there was blood in both.

He tried to follow me upstairs but was too weak and started to fall back down.

It was utterly heartbreaking but I knew then what the vet had meant. I "just knew".

DP couldn't do it and the DCs said goodbye at home and I took him to the vet. It was very peaceful and dignified but I was in bits. The vet was incredibly kind.

That was three years ago and we still have his photo and his collar on the mantlepiece and DD made a special scrapbook.

FourFortyFour Sun 27-Feb-11 13:17:05

<in tears> blush.

I am really confused as I felt we had caught it early as it had only been a week that she had been drinking more. She has put 200g on and the vet said she was doing well with her results. Since her results were done she has had 3 times where I have noticed she has drunk more. She has had sickness and diarrhoea once inside and she has been slow going up the stairs for a while as she has a bit of arthritis in her back leg.

I think she still has quality of life, she still carries her toy around and cries, she still bites and hits me.

I am scared I won't know though. DH says if she was in pain she would cry. I am really struggling and scared tbh blush.

FourFortyFour Sun 27-Feb-11 13:17:39

Sorry, I forgot I say thank you for your posts and I am sorry for all of you who have lost a much loved pet sad.

catinthehat2 Sun 27-Feb-11 13:24:28

Another useful thought is "better a day too early than a week too late".
sad

follyfoot Sun 27-Feb-11 13:25:25

You will know FFF, promise. I remember thinking just the same things as you are now. He had renal failure but had still been enjoying sitting in the garden in the sunshine.

Then one day I looked at my lovely ginger boy, he looked at me and that was the moment. He had had enough.

FourFortyFour Sun 27-Feb-11 13:30:37

Oh God. I can't bear it. I have had her since she was teeny tiny. She came with me when I left my abusive boyfriend and it was so lovely to come home to her every day. She listened when I cried and talked and slept on my bed every night on my feet to keep them warm. She is 16 1/2 but it feels like I have had her months rather than 16 years.

Ooopsadaisy Sun 27-Feb-11 13:33:04

Make your scrapbook, FFF.

We have ours and it is one of our most precious things.

No-one can take away your memories or your love.

FourFortyFour Sun 27-Feb-11 13:36:07

We haven't taken as many photos of her recently as the kids always seem to have the camera but I will and I have also said to DH we need to video her as we haven't got much video of her. She is asleep next to me on the sofa at the moment. I love how she puts her paw over her eyes smile.

FourFortyFour Sun 27-Feb-11 18:14:01

Just realised I put liver failure in the title, it is actually her kidneys that are starting to fail.

Ooopsadaisy Sun 27-Feb-11 19:36:43

Our poor old boy had liver/kidneys go together hence wee/poo.

You will "just know" re my previous post.

Enjoy your time together while you can and know that when the time comes you are showing her love and compassion by stopping her distress and discomfort.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now