Talk

Advanced search

Scavenging kitty driving me nuts

(5 Posts)
Flutey3for2inBoots Thu 16-Dec-10 23:04:54

I have 2 dearly beloved cats, who have been with us for about 8 years. One of them has always been on the greedy side, but in the last few months has become really outrageous, and I wondered if you had any tips.

He is constantly jumping up on the worktops, which I suspect they do a lot when I am out, but recently he does it right in front of me. He climbs in the dishwasher if I turn my back, to lick the plates. He drinks the fat I drain off the chicken whilst it is cooling on the side. When I put milk in the cups while the tea is brewing, he's right there ready to shove his head in. He stole my corned beef sandwich off the table when I got up to turn the tv on. He will go for crisps, cheese, pasta, toast, anything that isn't a vegetable.

Why has this appalling behaviour started, and how do I stop it? It's embarrassing when we have visitors, and means I have to shut him outside whenever we are eating or preparing food.

hellymelly Thu 16-Dec-10 23:12:37

I had a cat like this,and she had a thyroid problem which was making her hungry,she would eat anything,even sprouts.I would get a general chack at the vets to rule out parasites or a thyroid problem (which is quite common as cats get older).Other than that you will just have to live with it.I once had a cat who would try to steal maltesers out of my hands by putting his claws in and pulling the hand towards himself.Ow !

larahusky Thu 16-Dec-10 23:18:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Flutey3for2inBoots Thu 16-Dec-10 23:24:49

Oh yes, we do stash things in the oven / microwave / pantry it's just I forget, and before you know it he's licked the butter or shoved his big hairy face in a jug of custard.

Good point re thyroid etc though, I hadn't thought of that. Will hive him benefit of doubt till checked with vets, but if it's not medical then I guess I will try the spray gun. Grrrrrr!

hellymelly Fri 17-Dec-10 12:53:17

My friends Hyperthyroid cat raided every bin in the neighbourhood,and was not above going into strange houses.he once came home with an entire roast chicken...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now