Talk

Advanced search

Why do cats INSIST on going out even though it FREEZING and then sit at the back door 2 seconds later looking aggrieved, neglectecd and outraged about it?

(29 Posts)
BendyBob Sun 28-Nov-10 12:40:22

hmm I have fire for him to sit by and he loves it but he insists on going out and then looking IN through the back door in fury as though I'm the one who threw him out.

This goes on and on, in and out - it can't be for a pee every time.

We have no cat flap, so I am doorman for his lordship whilst this palavar goes on before he deigns to stay in and have a snoozegrin.

FranSanDisco Sun 28-Nov-10 12:45:45

Our one didn't like the scene outside the back door so went to the front door. I followed her and opened it and she went out. As I walked back into the kitchen she was sitting at the back door looking like little orphan annie. She then meowed at me when I let her in as if to say 'you took your time' confused.

Tikiinasantahat Sun 28-Nov-10 12:47:49

like this www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rb8aOzy9t4 mine just did it as well grin

mankyscotslass Sun 28-Nov-10 12:48:41

Mine looked out the back door, turned and looked at me, then went back in and sat on the radiator cover!

Joolyjoolyjoo Sun 28-Nov-10 12:50:28

They do it for fun, to make you get up every couple of minutes, and to flaunt the power they have in getting you to obey their commands.

It's part of their human-training programme for when they achieve world-domination

LaurieFairyonthetreeEatsCake Sun 28-Nov-10 12:51:48

I like to think it's cos they think we control the universe and can make it warmer.

Or rather they think we are the slaves who need to make the universe warm for them.

SantasNutellaFairy Sun 28-Nov-10 12:52:51

because they are cats!

BendyBob Sun 28-Nov-10 13:13:46

grin

Thanks for the Simons Cat link. Brilliant.

Showaddywaddy Sun 28-Nov-10 13:20:12

Our cat is currently on the recycling bin tapping on the bathroom window. He won't come in the back door as he wants me to open the window. I will NOT back down. He's been out there for 4 minutes.

Gay40 Sun 28-Nov-10 13:24:29

Mt cat looks at me like I've personally arranged the snow to annoy her.

MrsChemist Sun 28-Nov-10 13:28:25

I have a cat flap, but my cat wanders out of the flap in the back door, walks round the house and miows loudly at the front door, giving me pitiful glances, as if he's locked out forever.

I refuse to pander to this nonsense and eventually he gives up and comes back in via the cat flap.

noddyholder Sun 28-Nov-10 13:38:31

Mine does this too Goes out the cat flap in the back wall and walks round to the french doors and cries.

1Catherine1 Mon 29-Nov-10 01:03:25

Well the answer to this is obvious really...

It is your fault it is cold outside

When my eldest was an outdoor cat and she discovered snow for the first time she stood at the door, looked at the snow and then at me and meowed - what exactly did she want me to do about it? confused

LittlebearH Mon 29-Nov-10 01:16:40

i have always had persian cats. Some indoor some outdoor. My current one Ruby is indoor but she acts as if she wants to go out and then changes her mind at the last minute.

We are just their slaves.

juneybean Mon 29-Nov-10 01:21:11

Our's use the window now, they can come and go as they please!

MadamDeathstare Mon 29-Nov-10 01:21:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BendyBob Mon 29-Nov-10 10:07:27

We are all well and truly under their paws. We should feel honoured really...grin

ClaireDeLoon Mon 29-Nov-10 10:11:23

Mine want the door left open too. They love the snow and play in it, but then come and sit and stair in the patio doors, I open it and they remain sitting there.

Similarly if one is inside it will sit and stare out of the patio doors, I go open it and they don;t move at all.

Actually maybe they're just frozen solid?

ClaireDeLoon Mon 29-Nov-10 10:12:22

stair stare blush

PersonalClown Mon 29-Nov-10 10:19:02

Trust me, it's not just cats!
My Staffy demands to be let out, goes about 2 feet in front then runs back in because it's too cold for the wuss!!

NorbertDentressangle Mon 29-Nov-10 10:19:22

Ours goes out of the front door, runs round the corner and sits by the back door meowing to be let in hmm.

Last night she was driving me insane doing this circuit around me (I was sitting on the sofa next to the radiator)....jump on sofa, walk along the back of it...get on radiator...after 30 secs its too hot so jump onto arm of sofa and onto floor....10 secs later jump onto sofa and repeat all over again (many, many times) aargh!

frostyfingers Mon 29-Nov-10 10:21:31

My damn cat opens the door himself which is a pain to say the least. He first learned to open it to come in, and has now mastered letting himself out. What he has yet to learn is how to shut the bloody thing. It's an absolute pain in the arse in this weather. At the moment I've shut him in the office with me (which isn't especially warm) because I'm fed up of him leaving the house door open.

To top it all, I kept them in last night (they are usually out at night, with a fleece lined box in my hay shed to sleep in) because I felt it was a bit chilly, left the litter tray in situ and hey presto when I arrived downstairs this morning their was a turd carefully positioned to the side of the unused tray. Mummy cat was rigid with indignation that she'd been kept in, and couldn't get outside fast enough. Needless to say they will not be in tonight.

The3Bears Mon 29-Nov-10 10:21:32

My cat does this shes crazy, Right now shes outside in the snow freezing and wont come in silly cat

AvengingGerbil Mon 29-Nov-10 10:51:31

Mine insists on going outside to drink from puddles/old flowerpots of water rather than the nice indoor options. The last two mornings she has made me go outside in pyjamas to break the ice on the pots...

SparklyJules Mon 29-Nov-10 10:56:23

After doing the in-out-in-out thing 5 times already today (it's not even 11am yet!) I finally lost it on the doorstep and shouted "why don't you just skip this part and get straight to the hokey-cokey!" only to get a very quizzical look from from the man across the road who was out clearing his driveway of snow.

Stupid cat blush

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: