Talk

Advanced search

My old boy has stopped eating

(13 Posts)
ClaireDeLoon Sun 14-Nov-10 22:41:32

He is 19 and has kidney problems and is skin and bones. And is as happy as could be. Purry and loving.

But since yesterday morning he has hardly eaten, just a few prawns and some cat milk. He's still drinking at least.

I'm going to ring the vets in the morning and take him in as soon as possible. They may be able to do something to get him his appetite back because apart from that he seems fine.

But I'm sitting here wondering if this is it for him. He's my first cat I had of my own not a family cat. How do you know - do people let the vet guide them? I've never had to make this decision before and I just don't want to.

Marlinspike Sun 14-Nov-10 22:45:42

Oh, so sorry - I have a 21 year old; she's skin and bones as well, but eating fine at the moment. She is on a food supplement for her kidney and thyriod probs - restalin, I think? It helps them to absorb more nutrients from their food, or something like that.

To give you something positive, my cat went off her food a couple of months ago, and went sooo thin - I could almost get 1 hand around her body just infront of her hind legs. Since having the restalin/ restatyn she's eating much more and gains a little weight.

Keep us posted on how things go!

MegBusset Sun 14-Nov-10 22:50:55

Sorry to hear your boy isn't eating, I think the main immediate concern would be dehydration?

Fyi my old cat had to be put to sleep a couple of years ago, she had hyperthyroidism which led to heart failure, she was skin and bones too. She was happy and comfortable until the last day or two, but when it was time, we knew it was time iyswim.

Hope your vet can perk him up anyway and that you have plenty more time with him

ClaireDeLoon Sun 14-Nov-10 22:54:55

That's interesting Marlinspike, thank you so much. He's on pred (a steroid for his tummy probs and a flea allergy he's had for donkeys), fortekor for his kidneys and also an antibiotic for a small lump in his mouth they can't operate on (heart would give up). I will make a note of of restalin and ask.

We had the same thing with him just before Christmas last year and that's when the tummy problem was diagnosed, we thought we'd lose him then but he pulled through.

Do you feel you need to apologise and explain for how thin they are to random house visitors like supermarket delivery drivers, plumbers etc? I live in dread of the RSPCA turning up saying we've had reports you're starving your cat.

ClaireDeLoon Sun 14-Nov-10 22:57:35

Thanks Meg, he is drinking (we have a cat fountain to encourage that with his kidney problems, seems to help) and I know that is a positive.

He asks for food then just won't eat and we've tried felix, whiskas, gourmet, sheba, applaws, hi-life, prawns, poached coley etc.

frostyfingers Mon 15-Nov-10 08:49:46

Get the vet to check his teeth - he may have an infection there. This happened to a friend's cat - he looked as though he was about to expire, and then had 6 teeth out and was transformed. She has to mash his food a bit, but otherwise he's in top form, and he's 17.

ClaireDeLoon Mon 15-Nov-10 14:43:51

He's gone, my lovely old boy

He had gone downhill a lot overnight, lethargic and hiding himself away. Noticed his gums were white, vet said this is anaemia caused by end stage kidney failure. It was very peaceful for him at the end and the vets were very good and kind.

Like you say Meg you know when it's time and I knew all morning sitting with him.

frostyfingers Mon 15-Nov-10 14:45:04

I'm sorry, it's so hard but you've done the right thing.

MegBusset Mon 15-Nov-10 22:50:15

sorry about your lovely cat

Marlinspike Mon 15-Nov-10 22:52:59

So sorry Claire sad

ClaireDeLoon Mon 15-Nov-10 22:56:06

Thank you all. He was very lovely. Miss him so much after a long time together.

StrikeUpTheBand Mon 15-Nov-10 22:57:21

So sorry about your cat sad.

Our cat died about 9 months ago after he stopped eating, but he was only 7. We spent lots of money trying to find out what was causing it but they never did find out why. He did have anaemia though.

I'm glad it was peaceful for him though.

ClaireDeLoon Mon 15-Nov-10 23:00:38

Strike that's so sad, so young

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now