Talk

Advanced search

Should I take my cat to the vet?

(18 Posts)
Pannacotta Mon 08-Nov-10 08:46:26

I'm quite worried about one of our cats.

He is 16 but generally healthy, but since yesterday he hasn't eaten. He was sick early in the morning and then I didn't see him all day - I found him last night tucked up next to a warm radiator upstairs, out of the way.

He is usually very affectionate, he follows me around, sits with me on my desk/lap but he is very subdued at the moment.

His fur feels a bit matted in a few places (very unlike him). He hasn't touched the chicken scraps I put down for him this morning. He feels warm but is right next to a hot radiator.

Any suggestions/advice?

Am off now to do school run but will be back later.

frostyfingers Mon 08-Nov-10 09:30:37

Yes, I would - if it's a wasted trip then at least you can rest easy, and if not, then you know you've done the right thing. He may just have eaten something disagreable, does he still catch stuff (there are times when I feel rough that I would dearly love to curl up beside a warm radiator...

bramblebooks Mon 08-Nov-10 09:32:02

might be worth it. Our old girl used to take to the boiler each winter and rumble on then perk up in spring. She lived to 21. He might have an infection which needs antibiotics - does he feel warmer than he should on his head?

PestoEatsHurricaneWarnings Mon 08-Nov-10 09:48:29

I would. Just for reassurance or peace of mind.
If he's not feeling well your vet might be able to give him something to make him more comfortable.

Pannacotta Mon 08-Nov-10 10:05:06

Thanks.
He doesn't catch anything - he is inside most of the time when its cold.
His head feels warm but the radiator is quite hot.
Will call the vet now.
Hope he will be ok, the house feels quite odd without him milling around, often he greets me when I get back from school run...

bramblebooks Mon 08-Nov-10 10:09:44

Our girl gets a bit achey now and again and needs something to ease her joints and make her feel better. Hope he's soon picking up.

Pannacotta Mon 08-Nov-10 10:16:29

Thanks bramble.
I mamaged to feed him the chicken bits just now and he had some water so I think he might be feelign bit better.
Will see how he gets on and take a view re the vet.
It's funny how attached you can get to an old family pet...

bramblebooks Mon 08-Nov-10 10:20:39

not at all, they are family. Fingers crossed. I've blubbed my eyes out over sick chickens at the vets before!

Pannacotta Mon 08-Nov-10 13:46:32

He looks a bit better now but has gone quite cold, is this a bad sign (the heating had gone off where he is but have turned it back on now)?
I havent contaced the vets yet, are they likely to offer any advice over the phone?

bramblebooks Mon 08-Nov-10 14:28:51

It would be worth phoning them. If he shows signs of confusion then you need to seek urgent help, but see what they say anyway x cats have off days too, like us, hope it's just one of those.

Pannacotta Mon 08-Nov-10 14:47:01

Thanks bramble, will give them a call.

bramblebooks Tue 09-Nov-10 18:12:41

How is the old gentleman today?

Pannacotta Tue 09-Nov-10 21:06:17

Hi again.
He is ok-ish. I took him to the vet and he did a massive wee in his carrier on the way there, then puked/pooed on way home, lovely!
The vet said nothing very obvious was wrong, we should try antibiotics first but I cant get them down him.
I did try mixing them with his food tonight but he wont eat...

PandaNot Tue 09-Nov-10 21:08:44

Didn't the vet give him an antibiotic injection? Much easier than trying to get medicine into a cat that won't eat. I would phone and ask for advice in the morning if he's still not eating.

Pannacotta Tue 09-Nov-10 21:18:13

No she didnt, am annoyed that I didnt ask her to do it that way.
I have to admit I was a bit tearful at the vet so wasn't thining straight - was worried he might be on his last legs.

He did have some food when we got home though which is something, but I need to take him back by Friday if not sooner, said the vet.

PandaNot Tue 09-Nov-10 21:54:16

It is hard isn't it when you're so worried. My cat was recently very ill and I couldn't do a thing but think about him for days. Even now I'm constantly checking on him, mainly cos now he's cost me £900 I want him healthier than ever! grin

I really would be calling them in the morning and asking for more advice. Hope he picks up soon.

Pannacotta Tue 09-Nov-10 22:50:54

Good idea, will give the vet a call tomorrow, will see if she can give him an antibiotic jab instead.

£900 in vet bills - wow, poor you. Is your mog ok now?

PandaNot Wed 10-Nov-10 10:08:58

He's doing ok, has seemed much better the last couple of days so hopefully he's on the mend. He's very lucky we actually had the money (came out of the new kitchen fund!), usually there is no way we would have had that much in the bank. But he's worth every penny.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: