Talk

Advanced search

Help getting 4 week old kitties to wee in the right place

(9 Posts)
Hangingbellyofbabylon Thu 04-Nov-10 12:04:53

Hi, this is our 4th litter of kittens and so far week 4 has always been the bogey week when they are learning to use the litter tray so a few puddles are to be expected. Normally they choose a quiet corner somewhere and so it's easy to keep on top of and to clean.

This litter we have 6 babies - and for some reason they are choosing to wee more or less right in the middle of the lounge. hmm We have floor boards so the wee is soaking in nicely as well. confused. So far I've been watching the kittens closely and putting them on their tray as soon as they wake up, after eating etc. Also if they look ready to wee in the lounge I pick them up but if they've already started it can involve a little stream of wee going across the lounge as we go. Can't put the little tray in the place they are weeing as have 14 month old dd who is partial to a rummage.

Any ideas on how to make the litter tray nicer and the middle of the lounge less attractive?

FolornHope Thu 04-Nov-10 12:05:37

i cant do ANYTHIGN without a picture

TrillianAstra Thu 04-Nov-10 12:07:27

Waiting for picture too grin

I think that kittens learn from the smell of wee where wee is supposed to go. So you need to make the living room not smell of wee at all, for a start. Where is mummy cat weeing?

Hangingbellyofbabylon Thu 04-Nov-10 12:25:20

ok, will work on a piccie but am not very clever with these things so just to whet your appetite we have 3 little tabby and white kitties, 2 all ginger and one ginger with white socks. smile.

Mummy cat goes outside and in fact in barely around for any longer than in takes to feed them these days. I don't blame her as watching her feeding 6 kitties makes my eyes water. I have now soaked up the wee with a bit of loo roll and put that in the tray hopefully they will smell it and start using the tray.

Hangingbellyofbabylon Thu 04-Nov-10 17:26:33

have added a couple of photos onto my profile - any other ideas of how to deal with the wee problems?

thanks

SecretSquirrel193 Thu 04-Nov-10 17:29:57

Are you cleaning the lounge with biological washing powder?

Is there a room you can confine them to that is smaller? Or can you put more litter trays around?

Hangingbellyofbabylon Thu 04-Nov-10 20:49:40

I didn't know about using biological powder but after a nice poo in the middle of the lounge tonight we have tried that. Have also installed an extra litter tray. Here's hoping for a drier day tomorrow. smile

StandyUppyWiper Fri 05-Nov-10 11:19:53

The mother is meant to teach them how to use the tray confused. Could you keep her in for a few days so they can copy her?

frostyfingers Tue 09-Nov-10 09:49:32

Our hand reared kitty knew from the start about the litter tray. God knows how as I certainly didn't show him, but I parked him in it after every meal, and after he'd woken up and he got it within about 2 days.

A year on, he's the cleanest cat I've ever had - to the point of letting himself out to go for a wee.

He mastered the art of opening the door to come in quite a while ago, and has now sussed out how to do it the other way. It can be useful, but means I have to lock the door all the time otherwise the door is wide open, the dogs are shivering, the house is freezing, and himself has popped up to the airing cupboard for a nap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now