Talk

Advanced search

Coast to coast walk. Have you done it? Tips appreciated. Thinking of doing it this May.

(12 Posts)
CuriousMama Thu 06-Dec-18 16:13:26

Dh and I are keen to do this in May. We like walking but I haven't done any long stretches for a while. We are going to train as we live on the Durham coast and there's plenty of different terrain for walks.

Any advice appreciated. Places that are good for camping or just staying for b&b.

We're thinking of getting a cooker that's easy to carry.

TIA

CuriousMama Fri 07-Dec-18 13:16:55

NicoAndTheNiners Fri 07-Dec-18 13:26:43

I'm signed up to do it in July. There's some good YouTube videos of people who have done it. Me and my friend are staying in b&bs and to be honest I don't know the details of where we're staying.

FurryTurnipHead Fri 07-Dec-18 13:37:52

Hi there, I did the C2C a couple of years ago. I'd be happy to answer any questions. It was a brilliant experience. It might be best for you to decide now if you are going for B&Bs or camping, as decent B&Bs book up very quickly, and depending on where you decide to stop, some places have very little accommodation. Many will already be booked.

Camping is an option of course. We met some people doing it and carrying all their stuff and to be honest they looked broken at some parts of the trip, there are a few stages where there are no shops etc so you need to be carrying enough food etc. Or of course you can use a Sherpa service to transport your camping gear and just take day packs.

Make sure you do plenty of multi day walks in training, even if you are an experienced walker, if you haven't done many days in a row, it can come as a shock especially putting your boots on day after day.

If you want to know anything specific then feel free to pm me. Happy to help (and I'm very envious! smile)

CuriousMama Fri 07-Dec-18 18:03:04

Thank you so much both of you.

You've given me food for thought FurryTurnipHead. My gut instinct is telling me that's the way to go.

We're going to do some big walks locally. Beginning of Jan we're walking from robin hoods bay to Scarborough . We were going to carry our camping stuff then do Whitby and back the next day.

I've just spoken to dh and he's agreeing b&bs sound like a good idea. Hopefully we can get booked up?

CuriousMama Fri 07-Dec-18 18:04:32

That means I can take cleaner clothing. Dirty socks and being smelly was worrying me.

SexNotJenga Fri 07-Dec-18 18:08:52

I did the c2c on a bike some years ago. No really useful advice, just wanted to say that the people we met on the way (mostly B&B owners etc) were lovely. They really took an interest and went way above and beyond to help us out. I think you'll have a great time.

CuriousMama Fri 07-Dec-18 18:12:42

Thanks sexnotjenga. I wish I was good on a cycle we might have done it that way? But I do enjoy walking (Good job grin )

FurryTurnipHead Fri 07-Dec-18 18:34:01

We stayed in some lovely B&Bs, I'll message you at some point next week and send you some more info. You might be fine for availability, we were a big group so that added complications.

And yes to the cleaner clothing thing... B&B owners are brilliant with washing and drying stuff, and some have drying rooms. We had awful weather for 4 days through the Lake District and can't imagine having to have camped then put wet clothes and boots on again. I know plenty of people do it, but they are clearly tougher than me, I like warm socks and a clean bed!

CuriousMama Fri 07-Dec-18 18:43:02

Thanks Furry I looj forward to hearing from you smile

CuriousMama Fri 07-Dec-18 18:43:12

Look

CuriousMama Sun 09-Dec-18 17:52:29

Has anyone else find it?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: