What does my dog want me to do when he barks up a tree at a squirrel?

(58 Posts)
MNSEN Wed 21-Jul-21 20:08:52

Just that really. I'm very curious as to whether he is saying 'Get down here you tiny lunchable, I want to bathe in your blood' or 'Alert! Alert! I have found our pack a rich feast!' Is he talking to me or the squirrel?

He's a 10mo GR if that helps. Squirrel obsessed. Obviously what I actually do is get him to leave it and come with me on our nice walk and let everyone enjoy the peace and quiet - not least the squirrel - but I am just trying to understand where he is coming from IYSWIM?

OP’s posts: |
Tinypuppymom Wed 21-Jul-21 20:11:19

I think my puppy is saying, hi! Come play! This old witch is boring!

Spudlet Wed 21-Jul-21 20:13:09

Possibly something along the lines of ‘This is the most exciting thing that has happened in the last ten minutes and I want everyone to know all about it!!’

There’s a whole book on barking by a lady called Turid Ruugas but I don’t think squirrels were specifically mentioned grin

CaptainMyCaptain Wed 21-Jul-21 20:14:17

I think mine wants them to come down. She is nine and a half and still hasn't learned that it will never happen.

Aquamarine1029 Wed 21-Jul-21 20:14:59

He wants you to praise his bravery and marvel at his squirrel chasing skills.

Ylvamoon Wed 21-Jul-21 20:21:23

Ahh, I could swear mine are shouting: "Just get up that f-ing tree and stay there!!"

MNSEN Wed 21-Jul-21 20:26:57

I used to think he wanted to play but I fear that was rose-coloured dog owner spectacles shock

Advertisement

MNSEN Wed 21-Jul-21 20:31:51

Spudlet

Possibly something along the lines of ‘This is the most exciting thing that has happened in the last ten minutes and I want everyone to know all about it!!’

There’s a whole book on barking by a lady called Turid Ruugas but I don’t think squirrels were specifically mentioned grin

I'm hoping, this being MN, that someone will be along in a minute to say they did their PhD on dog/rodent interactions and... grin

Powertothepetal Wed 21-Jul-21 20:47:13

I imagine it’s frustration.
He’s probably pissed off the squirrel is now safely out of reach in the tree and he isn’t able to chase it.

Binglebong Wed 21-Jul-21 21:00:59

"Human god, make it come down and play/be eaten!"

Bitofachinwag Wed 21-Jul-21 21:01:03

He's saying: "LOOK LOOK A SQUIRREL! HOW EXCITING! LOOK LOOK A SQUIRREL! HOW EXCITING! etc etc....

30degreesandmeltinghere Wed 21-Jul-21 21:03:11

He is shouting at your to go get a damn ladder and get up there sharpish!!
His Lordship is peckish!!

MorganSeventh Wed 21-Jul-21 21:27:40

If he's a retriever, then he's been bred as a gun dog, so I would guess he's barking to alert you that he's treed the game so you can shoot it, and he can retrieve it.

So I think the barking means "here, here come shoot it, it's here."

MNSEN Wed 21-Jul-21 21:28:23

<googles Turid Ruugas>

OhDear2200 Wed 21-Jul-21 21:35:42

My dog is saying

“You cheating littler fucker, come down now and let me chase you to see who is faster like a proper animal would” (he’s a lurcher so would win).

The squirrels reply is:

“You are as think as shit you twat”

Potty mouths both of them.

Warmhandscoldheart Wed 21-Jul-21 21:39:04

grin

MaryLennoxsScowl Wed 21-Jul-21 22:21:45

Turid Ruugas sounds exactly like something you shouldn’t google when people on Mumsnet egg you on to do it.

Hoppinggreen Wed 21-Jul-21 22:24:07

I have a Goldie
Yours is saying “get down here so I can show you who’s boss”
While thinking “ please don’t come near me or I will have to hide behind my Mum”

Pinkywoo Wed 21-Jul-21 22:30:38

OhDear2200

My dog is saying

“You cheating littler fucker, come down now and let me chase you to see who is faster like a proper animal would” (he’s a lurcher so would win).

The squirrels reply is:

“You are as think as shit you twat”

Potty mouths both of them.

That is exactly what lurchers say! grin

Newfluff Wed 21-Jul-21 22:31:22

I would like to know as well, mine live happily with rabbits and chicken, chases but doesn't bark at rats, but holy mother of God, when those furry tree rats move a whisker ...

MNSEN Wed 21-Jul-21 22:46:44

Hmmmm. Now I'm thinking maybe different breeds are saying different things to the squirrel confused Because that Goldie explanation sure sounds plausible but I can see the Lurcher thing too.

I would sort of like to know how to help him with his squirrel induced psychological pain. Should I be shouting, 'Well done! Yes! Who's the best mammal ever?!'? Or does he want me to bark up the tree with him? Or is there a third way?

I might be overthinking it. It's warm here grin

FictionalCharacter Wed 21-Jul-21 22:50:50

Bitofachinwag

He's saying: "LOOK LOOK A SQUIRREL! HOW EXCITING! LOOK LOOK A SQUIRREL! HOW EXCITING! etc etc....

Yep, it’s this grin

MNSEN Wed 21-Jul-21 22:51:03

MaryLennoxsScowl

Turid Ruugas sounds exactly like something you shouldn’t google when people on Mumsnet egg you on to do it.

This is also good advice. Especially if you're reading the Feminism board IME...

gogohm Wed 21-Jul-21 22:58:01

He's saying look at me I nearly caught a squirrel aren't I clever isn't it exciting. My dog actually used to catch them but never hurt them, go figure

LizzieMacQueen Wed 21-Jul-21 23:17:38

Funny thread but god, I'm stupid. I was reading GR as George Russell because my brain was telling me 'boy's name' + Russell. But it's Jack !!! Jack Russell. Come on brain, haven't even been drinking.

So GR = golden retriever.

As you were.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in