Did you know home dog boarders and daycare companies need a license?

(17 Posts)
Krate Mon 19-Apr-21 09:35:22

Anybody who does doggy daycare or does home boarding is supposed to have a licence from their council-if they don't they are operating illegally.

Did anybody know this?
Would you be bothered if they are not licensed?

OP’s posts: |
UhtredRagnarson Mon 19-Apr-21 09:36:55

I knew because I’ve considered doing it myself. I didn’t know before that though. Now that I know it I wouldn’t use anyone not licensed.

BiteyShark Mon 19-Apr-21 09:37:57

Yes I knew.

Ironically dog walkers don't need a license but daycare and boarding does.

Krate Mon 19-Apr-21 09:51:44

@BiteyShark There are some councils that require a dog walking licence if walking commercially I believe. I know Wandsworth council used to offer one and Lambeth also

treeeeemendous Mon 19-Apr-21 10:00:17

Yes. I checked my dog Walker had a license too. I wouldn't give my dog to just anyone!

AvocadosBeforeMortgages Mon 19-Apr-21 10:01:39

I know, and if I were looking for a boarder from scratch then that's where I'd start.

That said, DDog goes to DF overnight and he's definitely not licenced! No way would he pass an inspection for... anything I can think of really.

If I was desperate and could persuade his dog walker to look after him I'd certainly overlook the question of whether or not they're licenced because DDog knows them and I trust them.

DenisetheMenace Mon 19-Apr-21 10:01:46

Yes and no, I wouldn’t use an unlicensed provider.

Gingerninja4 Mon 19-Apr-21 10:14:43

Yes place I use is licensed both house (as they work together so extra cover ).They also fully insured am fortunate are my one stop shop ,waking, daycare,homeboarder .
One of them is recognised qualified dog trainer and groomer though she no longer practices but will groom,clip her homeboard dog if asked

They are fantastic used last 7 years would not go anywhere else

Sitdowncupoftea Mon 19-Apr-21 11:54:13

Yes I knew this. However what many dont realise is while one person at the daycare may be qualified in animal management very few of the staff are.

sunflowersandbuttercups Mon 19-Apr-21 12:11:14

Yes, I knew. I am a dog walker and looked into setting up a daycare but it was very restrictive and I can earn more money (and have more flexibility) doing walks.

There are lots of illegal daycares out there sadly, and no, I would never use one - mainly because any insurance would be invalid as the daycare is breaking the law.

sunflowersandbuttercups Mon 19-Apr-21 12:12:16

treeeeemendous

Yes. I checked my dog Walker had a license too. I wouldn't give my dog to just anyone!

There's no such thing as a dog walking license in the vast majority of the UK. One or two councils have introduced them for walkers who take large groups, but otherwise they don't exist.

BiteyShark Mon 19-Apr-21 12:54:32

Mine are licensed but I don't really consider it to be anything other than paperwork that someone should go through as part of their business.

The paperwork of lower importance than how my dog interacts with them so a license is for me a simple tick in the box.

Horehound Mon 19-Apr-21 12:57:17

Yes I did know this. Yes I would be bothered.

Krate Mon 19-Apr-21 13:32:21

@Biteyshark It is much more than just a tick in the box. Tonnes of paper work and adaptions to house, license costs are extortionate in some areas, subject to spot checks. List is endless really. I know of one place in London that was shut down due to not having a license. Dogs were put into police kennels where the owners were not reachable.

BiteyShark Mon 19-Apr-21 13:38:57

You misunderstood me. I know it's a lot of work for the daycare place and is quite costly.

But for me as a customer I care more about how the person interacts with my dog, whether they have first aid knowledge and whether my dog adores them and is comfortable in their home. For 'me' it is a tick in the box as a client which does but mean it's a tick in the box for them to get it.

BiteyShark Mon 19-Apr-21 13:40:23

For 'me' it is a tick in the box as a client which does not mean it's a tick in the box for them to get it.

WeAllHaveWings Mon 19-Apr-21 13:43:40

Yes I know, and yes I would be bothered if they didn't have one.

My dog walker who also does home boarding is fully licensed and insured.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in