Potential puppy- what boarding/ sitting options at 16 weeks

(11 Posts)
SayItIsntSo1 Thu 15-Apr-21 16:53:00

I’m on a breeders waitlist for a litter due late May/ early June. We have a wedding in mid sept when pup would be about 16 weeks. We’ll be away for 4 nights. No suitable option to take with.

Most home boarding options want them to be 100% house trained which I think may be a stretch at 15/16 weeks.

Has anyone had this situation and found something that works? Kennels or a sitter at your house?

I’m reluctant to drop out of the waitlist as I like the breeder and their dogs and it wasn’t easy to find a good/sensible one...

But I also don’t want to be unrealistic if there are no care options while we’re away. Breeder is 2+ hrs away, so whilst I’m sure they’d be happy to have it, that’s not an option either.

OP’s posts: |
sunflowersandbuttercups Thu 15-Apr-21 17:05:49

I would recommend someone coming to your house to puppy sit, but make sure they're insured and will follow your routine with regards to meals, sleep, training, leaving the puppy alone etc.

I would start asking around now - I'm a dog sitter and I take bookings up to a year in advance sometimes.

SayItIsntSo1 Thu 15-Apr-21 17:46:18

Thanks @sunflowersandbuttercups.

I’m not sure DH would be ok with someone coming in to the house that we don’t know. There are sitters in our village that we can try and maybe get to know them a bit better beforehand with some visits.

LostArcher Thu 15-Apr-21 17:52:34

I think a dog sitter at your house would be best. For what it is worth, floofy pup is 17 weeks and hasn't pooed in the house since her first day at 8 weeks and hasnt weed inside for about two to three weeks. However, I wouldn't call her completely house trained - she is managed to create that success. I'm not sure I could leave her elsewhere though just because I don't think I could - she's still so young and still developing and learning. I think if your pup could at least stay innher own home, then her anxiety would be minimised.

sunflowersandbuttercups Thu 15-Apr-21 18:05:02

SayItIsntSo1

Thanks *@sunflowersandbuttercups*.

I’m not sure DH would be ok with someone coming in to the house that we don’t know. There are sitters in our village that we can try and maybe get to know them a bit better beforehand with some visits.

It's definitely what I would recommend.

It means your puppy will be in it's own environment, surrounded by familiar sights, sounds and smells. A good sitter will come and meet your puppy at 8 weeks of age and do regular visits so that everyone is comfortable.

MayflowerMaisie Thu 15-Apr-21 18:06:52

Whereabouts are you? If you’re close to Hertfordshire check out Dad in Paws. They’ve been having our pup since he was a pup, and loved his holidays. It’s home from home boarding, so no kennels, and they try to stick to your home routine as much as possible.

WaltzingToWalsingham Thu 15-Apr-21 18:21:18

Do you have a friend or neighbour who likes dogs and would have your puppy to stay in their house? If they have a dog too (and the dogs get on), this could be a win-win solution, and you could return the favour when they next go away. Also, if you see them regularly, your puppy will be familiar with them and vice versa.

If your dog-loving friend/neighbour doesn't have their own dog and so you can't reciprocate, could you offer to pay them the going rate for a dog-sitter, as it is a responsibility and can be restrictive at times.

SayItIsntSo1 Thu 15-Apr-21 18:34:09

I do have one or two friends that might be able to help...

Sitter definitely feels like the best option.

It’s my sisters wedding otherwise, I would be tempted to do something different. We could take it, but it would mean a 4hr drive and leaving it with my parents dog (who it may not have met) and sitter for a night regardless. Plus, I think DH would divorce me taking the dog all that way so early on blush grin

Toomuchleopard Thu 15-Apr-21 18:37:04

My dog goes to home boarding at someone’s house. She would definitely take a 16 week old pup but lots wouldn’t so I think it’s a case of finding the right person.

Profiterolegirl Thu 15-Apr-21 18:46:48

I wouldn't be happy having someone I don't know staying in our house either.

PollyRoulson Thu 15-Apr-21 18:56:53

It would be useful to have a good relationship with a good qualified and insured local dog sitter.

Emergencies do crop up or you may want long days out and about and having someone you know and can call on is very useful.

As to having someone in your house, it is their job, they should be insured and checked. Your house is probably safer with them in it then left empty.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in