Puppy and tummy issues

(11 Posts)
Stephplus2 Mon 14-Sep-20 17:48:51

Hello, can anyone help. We have a saluki puppy named honey who is 14 weeks old. She came home almost 3 weeks ago and we are waiting for her last lot of immunisations. She's great and pritty much house trained. The only problem is since she's came home she's had an upset tummy and is pooing alot. Talked to the vet and he didn't seem concerned as she's nice and active and eats and drinks well. She was at one point going 10 times a day!! It's better now more like 6 but still alot? We switched food as the one she was on wasn't great she's been on chicken and rice and some eggs to settle her tummy but when introducing her back on kibble she gets a bad tummy again. Shes on step up kibble. Have got some pro kolin paste to help and she's been wormed and did have a few worms but again vet wasn't concerned. Im at abit of a loss I feel like food isn't agreeing with her.

If anyone could give me any advice that would be great.

Thanks

OP’s posts: |
Stephplus2 Mon 14-Sep-20 17:50:34

I should add we got advised chappie to help but it went straight through her. I'm considering raw but have 2 young girls so not sure that's a good root!

Thanks

fivedogstofeed Mon 14-Sep-20 19:28:25

That's definitely not normal sadIf she was ok on chicken and rice then the finger does point at the kibble, although Chappie usually does suit most dogs.

I had a dog like this and after trying quite a few options I got him on to Burns Fish and Rice. It may be worth looking for something grain free.

I'm guessing the breeder does have any input?

fivedogstofeed Mon 14-Sep-20 19:30:20

Also, if that was the first time she was wormed it needs to be done again as you've probably been told.

RunningFromInsanity Mon 14-Sep-20 19:35:33

If it’s been checked by the vet and isn’t dehydrated or lethargic then I wouldn’t worry too much.
Stress and excitement can cause tummy issues and a new puppy who is experiencing new things is bound to be a bit stressed/excited.

It may even be all the changing of food.

fivedogstofeed Mon 14-Sep-20 19:39:04

After three weeks I would be concerned tbh

AngelSings Mon 14-Sep-20 19:52:43

I had the same problem with our puppy when she came home. Rice and chicken fine but kibble causing major runny poops. Turns out accidentally changing her dry food flavour (still same brand though) was the issue. Did you introduce the new food very very gradually? I ended up putting her on Jollyes Lifestages (grain free, hypoallergenic) kibble and saw improvement very soon. I gradually introduced it into her diet along with the rice and chicken.

Advertisement

Stephplus2 Mon 14-Sep-20 20:19:57

Yes we have been in touch with the breeder, she seems absoloutly fine so I'm really not sure and neither is he x

Stephplus2 Mon 14-Sep-20 20:22:21

She is totally upto date with worming and not due the next one for 2 weeks. I'm thinking it's the food. And changing things around to try and help her has made it worse. I think maybe a few days on bland food then the breeder said he used Dr John's so I'm thinking back to that x

Mumofboys15 Mon 14-Sep-20 21:31:47

We had the same problem. Turns out our pup has a grain intolerance. We removed all grain from his diet, now thriving. Apparently it’s very common and a large percentage of some dog foods is grain to fill them up.

Stephplus2 Mon 14-Sep-20 22:09:39

Thank you for your reply. I have read about this and it could be true with our girl honey. If only she could stay on scrambled eggs forever. Hopefully we get her sorted soon. She is actually gaining wait so that's good x

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in