Insurance

(6 Posts)
Hyperfish101 Sun 13-Sep-20 16:02:46

What do people have for their dogs? Trying to decide what I need for our new dog. 18mo this old.

TIA

OP’s posts: |
Monkeytapper Sun 13-Sep-20 16:04:21

‘Bought by Many’ lifetime cover up to 7k a year. Came in handy a couple of months ago when our puppy broke her elbow and vet and surgery fees were £4.5k.

BiteyShark Sun 13-Sep-20 16:06:15

Go for a life cover for as much vet care as you can afford.

Vet fees can escalate quickly. A severe D&V episode cost us over £2k. At one time we were facing an operation after an accident of around £5k (fortunately not needed in the end) and I know someone who had a £10k bill after cancer in a young dog.

Check the T&Cs closely as not all are equal.

Bergerdog Sun 13-Sep-20 17:29:30

Cover for life.
I’ve claimed £300/month for my dog for hip dysplasia since he was 11 months old. He is 11 now blush

I’ve also had some quite big bills for a few of the others although not as much as dog1!

MyOldBeansy Wed 16-Sep-20 10:58:59

Bought By Many: £15k a year. A minor infection ended up costing £11k to fix, so we have been very glad to have the cover for it.

I would always choose the very top level of cover in the future, because I've seen how much "small" issues can cost in otherwise healthy dogs, plus how much easier it makes medical treatment if £ is not a concern.

CousinDolores Wed 16-Sep-20 11:04:28

Bought by Many, up to £15k. We've got a big dog (35kg) and anything involving meds/anaesthetic is expensive just because of her size. The things most likely to go wrong would be bloat or something hip-related and those aren't cheap.

We thought long and hard about whether to go down the 'put something away each month' road, but the problem with that is that you don't have time to build up much of a cushion if there's a problem early on.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in