Dog being spayed strange behaviour

(8 Posts)
labellesusage Sun 13-Sep-20 10:46:57

Yes I'm backs
So dog is getting spayed on the 21st of this month.
Exactly 3 months post bleeding etc
She's now displaying odd behaviour, it's as if she knows!
Carrying furry toys about and whimpering.
She had a phantom pregnancy a while ago (all blended in with this bundle of trouble)
Is it worth giving the vets another call tomorrow regarding this or is this normal behaviour? she's was meant to be done back in March but vets wouldn't do it round our way as it wasn't seen as necessary. Had season in June . Don't want 10 of her running about any time soon!

OP’s posts: |
Veterinari Sun 13-Sep-20 20:48:48

Yep call them - are you sure she isn't pregnant?
It could be a phantom but these signs need to be fully resolved before neutering

BadEyeBri Sun 13-Sep-20 20:56:02

Likely another phantom pregnancy OP. Call your vet. They may want to either reschedule her spay or put her on some medication pre-spay. Good luck, hope DDog feeling less hormonal soon

labellesusage Sun 13-Sep-20 22:51:07

@Veterinari positive she isn't pregnant. No escapes. Lead walked only recently.

@BadEyeBri what kind of meds. Wish they did a doggie depo.

She's calmed down tonight and threw her 'baby teddy' around like a nutter. But then started whimpering to get behind the sofa as if something was there. She's not done that since we got her. Nothing new, nothing to unsettle her. Still same level of exercise. I have been ignoring to a point as on final week of nursing student and need to get my final assignment in, but do this after walks . 🤷🏻‍♀️

Girlintheframe Mon 14-Sep-20 14:22:01

Our dog did this. Carried a toy around crying for what felt like forever. It was a phantom pregnancy.

IsletsOfLangerhans Mon 14-Sep-20 17:49:48

Sounds like a phantom. Our dog was due to be spayed end of Feb. It kept being pushed back as she was producing milk. The vets understandably wanted to see her to confirm, but it was quite obvious! In the end it was completely cancelled due to lockdown. We are now going through the same thing again - sad, clingy behaviour, carrying socks/toys and demanding more food too. We were told to take the toys/socks off her, so she didn’t get too attached - that stimulates milk production apparently. They can give them meds to stop milk production if it gets too bad. Hard to see them like that sad

labellesusage Mon 14-Sep-20 18:04:21

Evening. Totally different dog today. I'm wondering if it was because this weekend I've been so busy that in between walks I've ignored her. Just submitted my final piece of work to uni for my nursing degree. She's left the toy alone. No whimpering. She's not produced milk either. She's a rescue so my bad dog ownership has probably stressed her out. I didn't even have 5 mins today to phone the vets. Doing it tomorrow. She now has my undivided attention. Husband reminded me that she did it last time I had a deadline for submission. Maybe she's like me and gets stressed with academic shite.
Very odd , but feel bad it's probably my fault ☹️

Advertisement

labellesusage Thu 17-Sep-20 11:19:14

Totally forgot about this thread. I had been in touch with the vet . Advice given was possible phantom pregnancy again. She's not producing milk. Cut down her food, more exercise and take her toys off her. We are going in earlier on Monday for the vet to check her over first to see if it's appropriate for the spay at that time.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in