How can I treat this graze?

(11 Posts)
steppemum Thu 10-Sep-20 08:36:05

So, on Sunday morning I noticed ddog had grazed his leg. front of his foot, just above the ankle. Small graze, not bleeding, not deep, just fur removed. No idea how he did it.

He was licking at it, and for the first 2 days, I was WFH and had him by me and every time he licked it, I gently stopped him. Graze dried over, all good.

But I was out yesterday (dh was home, so not separation anxiety) and he has licked it a lot. It is now about 2-3 cm x 1 cm. It looks sore and I am worried it is going to get infected/not heal.
Dh said we should cover it, but if I put a dressing pad on it now, because it is wet where he has been licking, the dressing will stick. I think if I bandaged it, he would leave it, but I am worried about the dressing sticking.

I really don't want to go to te vet. It is £48 minimum spend at the moment for them to actually see the dog, and then the cost of treatment and we have insurance, but the excess is £100, and he has been twice during lockdown sad

Do you think realistically I can dress it? Any suggestions about what I can use, and should I put something on the wound to clean it first? I have clean (human) dressing pads, and gauze bandage etc.

OP’s posts: |
BiteyShark Thu 10-Sep-20 08:37:39

Can you put a large vet cone on him. If it's longer than his nose he won't be able to lick it.

steppemum Thu 10-Sep-20 09:21:18

That's a good idea. Would somewhere like Pet's at Home sell them?

LBee2020 Thu 10-Sep-20 09:26:33

We were advised to use a spray antiseptic on ours. Our DP grazed his leg earlier this week and we sprayed it twice a day and it's almost healed right up. He never seemed interesting in licking it but not sure if that was just him or the antiseptic. It's a human antiseptic but what the vet recommended.

steppemum Thu 10-Sep-20 09:30:00

Our DP grazed his leg

I was wondering why your partner grazing his leg was relevant until I read the rest grin grin

Thanks I have spray anesthetic, I'll try that.
I am at home today, so I'll keep him by me and try and stop him licking

BiteyShark Thu 10-Sep-20 09:41:38

I picked mine up at the vets.

steppemum Thu 10-Sep-20 09:42:21

Thanks Bitey.

Advertisement

Itsrainingnotmen Thu 10-Sep-20 09:54:33

Pets at home do an amazing antiseptic lotion for a fiver... Purple bottle. Our dhusky rubbed a sore her head - itchy with moulting - a couple of years ago. Typically saw it Fri night after vet was shut. Used the stuff over the week end. Scabbed over by the Monday!

Sootikinstew Thu 10-Sep-20 12:14:44

If you out a proper medical dressing and bandage on it it won't stick.

steppemum Fri 11-Sep-20 09:11:50

Thanks all, used spray antiseptic and it looks much better.
phew!

LBee2020 Fri 11-Sep-20 10:13:48

I was wondering why your partner grazing his leg was relevant until I read the rest grin grin

grin Haha oops. I'm terrible with MN initialisms!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in