Very jealous pup problems

(6 Posts)
Threeoleary Sun 06-Sep-20 09:40:05

I’m desperate for help with my pup’s behaviour. He’s 9 months old, we got him in January then lockdown happened in March just as we were getting out more.

There are two problems really. The first, and this is the minor one, is that he jumps at the lead, biting and barking. I try to stop and not move until he does but it can take ages to get going calmly.

The second problem is more serious. He’s very bouncy, barky and jumpy around the grandchildren, not surprisingly they don’t really like the pup. He’s also very possessive of me, he squeals, barks, and pulls like a steam train on the lead to get to me if I’m with one of the GCs and DH has pup. It’s so difficult to have him around the GCs but we
can’t avoid it as we look after them a couple of days a week.

I’m at my wits end with him. When we’re alone he’s mostly fine

OP’s posts: |
Threeoleary Sun 06-Sep-20 12:09:59

Any advice will be gratefully received grin.

vanillandhoney Sun 06-Sep-20 15:33:03

To be honest, I think you'd be better off getting a trainer or behaviourist in. A lot of the behaviour you mention worries me, especially his manners around the grandchildren, and I don't think people should be trying to help you without having seen the behaviour first hand.

Following incorrect advice at this stage could be disastrous. Ask your vet or your insurance company if they can recommend someone who can come to your home and see his behaviour for themselves. Avoid anyone talking about dominance or pack theory, and go for someone who follows positive association.

Good luck smile

Threeoleary Sun 06-Sep-20 16:52:27

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I don’t believe he would be aggressive just that he’s excitable and would be likely to accidentally knock over a child. I’ll take your advice regarding the trainer/behaviourist though. Thanks again.

RiaRoth Sun 06-Sep-20 17:08:06

None of what you describe worries me, he is a 9 month old puppy, but I do agree that getting in a trainer will save you a lot of time and get you on the right track quicker.

It is impossible to give correct advice unless you can see the situation in real life.

On a basic control level I would put in stair gates to separate the puppy from your Grandchildren and try to prevent the situation you describes that cause your dog to pull to you. I think this is more likely a need to be where the action is rather than guarding but I am guessing.

I would also keep the dog away from GC eg husband be with the puppy or vice versa until you can get this to a more manageable level. Leaving the situation as it is will only allow it to escalate and get harder to change.

Threeoleary Sun 06-Sep-20 17:36:04

Yes I agree that he wants to be where the action is. Thank you so much, I’ll be looking for a trainer this evening.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in