Bringing a dog to the UK and manners.

(3 Posts)
mamamia2020 Sat 05-Sep-20 14:49:16

We're moving back to the UK with our 4-year-old Golden Retriever. We currently live in a very dog-unfriendly country. Dogs are viewed as dirty and often mistreated. Our dog was living in a high rise in the capital and at risk of being put out on the streets when his owner was offered work abroad and no one would take him. We brought him to us, 300 miles from the capital where we have a fairly big garden where he can play in safety. During the summer months, we can't take him out for walks as the temperatures in the shade are 45c. There are no dog parks and the only dogs nearby are feral dogs that growl at him despite wanting to make friends :-D. During the summer he has to get most of his exercise in the garden - its not ideal but his life is significantly better than 99% of the dogs here.
Anyway, we are flying him to the UK in November and we're so excited to be able to see him running through green fields, swimming in the sea, and maybe making some friends at the park. The only problem is that he is not very good on the lead, he gets overexcited when he gets to go outside for walks, not his fault as its due to the limitations above. Do you have any tips on improving this? Also, while his recall is very good when he is at the bottom of the garden I will need to improve his recall before he can be allowed off lead - the excitement will mean he ignores me.

OP’s posts: |
IsletsOfLangerhans Sat 05-Sep-20 15:00:14

Good luck with your move back to the UK! In the last few years, a lot of secure dog exercise fields have popped up all over the UK. You can rent these per half hour or whole hour and they were invaluable to us when working on recall. Ours charges £5 for half an hour, so not that expensive. It was my first thought when reading your post.

mamamia2020 Sat 05-Sep-20 15:22:36

@IsletsOfLangerhans
Thanks for that - brilliant idea. We're moving to Leicestershire and I have just googled and found one 15 minutes from where we will be living. That is an excellent idea. So far he has lived a very 'small' live with not much scope to get out and about and explore so the excitement will get the better of him to begin with.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in