Talk

Advanced search

How to get an old dog to relax...

(5 Posts)
Undomesticgodde55 Wed 02-Sep-20 12:03:49

Hi, I’ve recently given birth to my first baby, and now my 10 year old dog has stepped up his guard duties. He is a cocker spaniel who should be relaxing, however he is constantly on guard watching the doors, baking at anyone walking past the house and making sure the baby is within eye sight. He has even taken to guarding my niece and nephew and cry’s when they are out of sight when they visit. He is not aggressive at all and still welcomes visitors into the house as friends. I’m more concerned for his health and this behaviour escalating further - I don’t want a stressed dog. Does anyone have any tips please?

OP’s posts: |
RaininSummer Wed 02-Sep-20 12:12:08

Bless him. Could you start a process of giving him a reward and loads of praise for settling in his bed or wherever he normally goes to relax.

Speckledhen617 Thu 03-Sep-20 12:29:21

Try an adaptil plug in-one in each room. Its helped our pup when he went through a fear period and was very skittish.

Undomesticgodde55 Thu 03-Sep-20 20:32:28

Thanks for the advice. @RaininSummer it's getting him to calm the barking down which is the issue and relaxing back in his bed. I did think about treats but as he's still on edge I didn't want to encourage the guard behaviour. Any other situation he is well behaved (for example when we eat he goes to his bed, walks nicely next to the pram etc.) such a shame as I can see how tired he is getting and his walks are getting slower - I'm worried I'm going to send him to an early grave and he is a much loved member of the family. Will take a look at the plugin @Speckledhen617 thanks for the tip

OP’s posts: |
Speckledhen617 Thu 03-Sep-20 21:31:35

I think you'll find the adaptil will help. They do sprays and collars too but its the plug ins you want. Best of luck.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in