Are these toxic to dogs?

(8 Posts)
thewallisblue Sun 30-Aug-20 07:28:27

Anyone know what these are, and whether the berries are toxic to dogs? There are some starting to fall in our garden and my pup has taken a liking to them!

Tia!!!

OP’s posts: |
BiteyShark Sun 30-Aug-20 09:47:32

I would try and download an app which you can use to identify the plant (point camera at its leaves). Then google for toxicity.

Or ask on the gardening section for plant identification.

Motorina Sun 30-Aug-20 10:18:45

That's ivy, surely? If so, yes, it's toxic to dogs.

Motorina Sun 30-Aug-20 10:20:14

wagwalking.com/condition/english-ivy-poisoning

Judashascomeintosomemoney Sun 30-Aug-20 10:24:35

Do you mean the berries? Because they look like pyracantha. I thought they were toxic but googling suggests they’re not particularly toxic to dogs

Judashascomeintosomemoney Sun 30-Aug-20 10:49:29

But I second reposting it in gardening section. Lots of experts there

Wibblytummy Mon 31-Aug-20 18:07:35

My plant app says it is scarlet firethorn.. not sure if it's poisonous to dogs but says not to humans..

Advertisement

ThatLibraryMiss Mon 31-Aug-20 19:08:29

You have two plants in the photo. The one upper right with the lobed leaves and the pale green knobbly flower buds is ivy. It will produce flower in the next three months, with lots of pollen which is really great for bees and other insects at a time when most other flowers have stoped. It'll go on to produce clusters of berries that turn black in late winter/early spring and are much appreciated by blackbirds and pigeons. They may cause an upset tummy in dogs but they stay on the plant pretty well.

The plant with smaller simple leaves and orange/red berries (and really, truly wicked thorns on its branches) is pyracanthra, aka firethorn. Its berries are not toxic, although they may cause a mildly upset tummy. Birds are supposed to enjoy the berries but IME they prefer ivy.

Two plants, neither particularly toxic and one really useful for wildlife.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in