Talk

Advanced search

Restless dog in the evening

(5 Posts)
maverickallthetime Fri 28-Aug-20 20:40:51

We have a 9 month old Sprocker. He's not too bad during the day but in the evening he keeps staring and me and barking and whining. If I'm honest it's doing my head in. Is this just a phase? What can I do to help him grow out of it! Should I put him in his crate? That seems a bit harsh, I just want him to sit down and settle!!!

I don't think it helps that we've not managed to get him something that he can chew on successfully and keep himself occupied. I think we'll get him an antler but I've not bought that yet, maybe that would help. Any suggestions gratefully received

OP’s posts: |
Bergerdog Fri 28-Aug-20 21:37:38

What’s his daily routine?

I expect mine to lie down in the living rooms. No exceptions, if they don’t I send them out. I ignore any attention seeking behaviour and teach a go a lie down command from day 1.
As soon as they do lie down I give a calm good dog verbal reward and a stroke but never a reward that could be too exciting, the reward is lying with family.
They quickly learn to settle, even my 6 month old knows the living rooms are for relaxing in.
This only works if they are tired mentally and physically though!

I also follow these rules through the day. No exciting games like ball games etc or wrestling in the house.

Have you tried something like a kong or lickimat? This will buy you some time but to be honest I think you might have to get firm and ignore the negative behaviour until he does some positive behaviour and then reward that.

picklemewalnuts Fri 28-Aug-20 22:09:06

Interesting response.
I have similar trouble. My dog is 8 now. he's started a restless pacing and sniffing. I can only describe it as looking for an invisible mouse. It's worse in the rain. We've not managed to work out what the trigger is.

I was led astray by my dog's initial passivity. I thought we'd got the settle thing happening really well. Turned out he was poorly, and once he'd recovered he turned into a bit of a fusspot. For us it's been a case of constant reinforcement. He hasn't really grown out of the fussiness, we have to deal with it regularly.

Bergerdog Fri 28-Aug-20 22:25:39

I think it depends on the dog to some extent and a new behaviour developing in an older dog warrents investigation. If my 8yo started pacing and had always been settled at home previously I would look for an issue if that makes sense?

However It sounds like ops puppy is just figuring out that by annoying mum he can get some attention. From a puppy I like to teach what I expect from day one and that’s not treating the house like a dog playground. grin

Mine get designated walks and training time, individually and together. They can also play in the garden or kitchen to their hearts content if they wish however once they step past the kitchen door they know that it’s time for relaxing. I don’t punish or use negative methods just simply give lots of positive reinforcement when they do what I want and ignore any bad behaviour. If mine were whining at me I would ignore it all night if I had to, and then moment the dog got bored and lay down I would then give the attention at that point.

I’ve had up to 5 at any one time (currently have 3), a range of ages and I want them all to know that they can relax in the living rooms without being hassled or bothered by someone else hence why I am strict on it!

I do use kongs and likimats on occasion and have a variety of different chew toys lying around that they can use as and when but I wouldn’t give a whining dog a toy to keep it busy as you’ll end up in a never ending toy cycle!

maverickallthetime Fri 28-Aug-20 22:28:53

@Bergerdog routine varies a bit due to husband's shifts but always has a walk first thing and then another in the afternoon. Today to try and stop it happening I took him out again early evening and he came back and settled for a while.
I got so fed up I put him in his crate and actually it helped, he didn't whine in there at all and settled quickly. After an hour my daughter went to make a drink and we let him out (no crying or noise so didn't reward bad behaviour) and he came straight into the living room and settled in his bed.

I think he is really pushing boundaries (we've rehomed him so only had him a month and think we are getting teenage behaviour!!) and I think you are right we need to be really strict so he understands the rules!!

@picklemewalnuts I think consistency is going to he the key with us too. I know he'll be happier when we crack it but I think it'll take time

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in