Talk

Advanced search

My dog scent marks in other people's houses

(10 Posts)
mrsknottschicken Sun 23-Aug-20 21:28:04

We got a rescue saluki lurcher in March and he's lovely, generally very very easy to look after.

He is mostly toilet trained at home now. Has the odd accident still but they are getting less often, and he is dry at night time.

He is very laid back and lazy and everyone loves him. Recently we went to my parents' house and he proved to be very adaptable, not going on sofas after being told "no" twice, even though he is allowed on them at home. I was really impressed and surprised by that.

However, in other people's houses, he scent marks. He did this at my parents' a couple of times. And last week my sister looked after him for the day and he scent marked in her house too. Then her dog (who has never weed in the house apart from when he was a puppy) weed on the same spot! She was fine with it but I was mortified!

How do I train my dog not to scent mark in other people's houses when almost all of the time he is in our house? Generally if he is doing something he shouldn't and I shout "NO!", he does stop, but we are never in another person's home for a sustained period of time so training him not to do that is tricky.

If it's relevant, he is neutered, but I think this would have been done fairly recently (by the rescue). Also, when he goes on a walk he stops to wee every couple of minutes or so (most of the time it's not a proper wee but scent marking).

Any tips gratefully received :-)

OP’s posts: |
RedHelenB Sun 23-Aug-20 22:16:02

Mine scent marks on walks but not inside dog cafes or anywhere. I wonder if your ddog isnt getting the "inside vibe"?

mrsknottschicken Tue 25-Aug-20 20:29:02

Thank you. Hard to say- maybe not! Quite a tricky thing to teach him but next time we are at someone else’s house I will watch him like a hawk!!!

vanillandhoney Tue 25-Aug-20 21:31:09

It's a difficult one to train them out of! Mine did it a couple of times at daycare when he was a puppy but it stopped around 6-7 months of age.

I wonder whether the answer is just to be super-vigilant and distract him/take him out when you see him going to do it?

Besom Tue 25-Aug-20 21:37:33

You haven't had him that long really for a rescue so hopefully will grow out of it. Meanwhile yes vigilance and distraction. Mine did it on people's Christmas trees when he was younger which was nice.

PuckyMup Tue 25-Aug-20 21:47:52

Belly band when he’s inside and watch him like a hawk. The moment he lifts his leg, tell him uh uh gently and redirect him

WeAllHaveWings Tue 25-Aug-20 21:48:19

I would have a few visits and do full on toilet training with him at your parents and your sisters. Hopefully after that he would get the inside vibe mentioned,

mrsknottschicken Tue 25-Aug-20 22:55:58

Thanks folks, they sound like really good suggestions. Surprisingly he does usually stop doing something when I say “no” so will find the time to take him to these houses and watch him like a hawk 🙂😂

Cuddling57 Tue 25-Aug-20 22:59:39

When you get to their house take him for a long walk last many trees so he can empty his bladder!
Do some training with him once in the house with treats so he has eaten in the house.
Keep a close eye on him at all times at first.
No idea if any of it will work but you can only try!

mrsknottschicken Tue 25-Aug-20 22:59:50

And I’ve never heard of belly bands until now - they look useful; thanks.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in