Talk

Advanced search

Getting dog used to being on own

(5 Posts)
GolightlyMrsGolightly Fri 21-Aug-20 07:53:58

Right, I know, in know...but 7 month old puppy, longest been left on her own is about 15 minutes.

We are trying to heave her for short periods. Sometimes she narks like a loon, we go back in after a couple of minutes, in a gap in barking. Sometimes she perches Sitting at the top of the stairs obviously waiting, no barking, A couple of times she takes herself off to her chair.

It’s early days but do we just keep going building it up? The barking is the one that’s worrying me and also that she’s waiting for us rather than going to her bed.

OP’s posts: |
HasaDigaEebowai Fri 21-Aug-20 07:54:58

what do you do at night time?

TeddyIsaHe Fri 21-Aug-20 07:58:33

Waiting for you is fine, barking is not.

Keep doing what you’re doing, only go back to her when she’s quiet and really fuss her and give her a high reward treat, whether that’s food or ball or whatever she loves the most.

Slowly increase the times, until you’re up to an hour or so. Does she have a safe space to go to when you’re out?

DilysMoon Fri 21-Aug-20 08:09:16

Do you leave the house or just go to another room? My puppy whines for me if I go upstairs, he knows I'm there but can't get to me. He's fine with me leaving the house though, he settles by the door and waits for me to come back.

GolightlyMrsGolightly Fri 21-Aug-20 08:22:17

Leaving the house, she’s fine in the house if we are. She’s ok if she’s in the garden and we go out round the front.

At night she sleeps in our room.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in