Talk

Advanced search

Is there any way of changing this?

(7 Posts)
NotBeingFunnyOrAnything Tue 18-Aug-20 09:29:46

Ddog - mini schnauzer, 8 years old.

Just got a baby pigeon - she's had a mouse and a baby bird before.

Is this purely instinct or can it be trained out?

We're considering a puppy and am concerned this is a bad sign? She shouts at other dogs but is not aggressive - if they badger her she'll scream at them but no biting.

She's very highly strung - we are s working with her but just wild like advice.

Thanks

OP’s posts: |
Sarahlou63 Tue 18-Aug-20 09:32:24

Yes, it's instinct. I guess you can train it out but why would you? It's no indication that she would attack another dog.

GrumpyMiddleAgedWoman Tue 18-Aug-20 09:45:08

You can train it out, but it takes consistency and lot of work on basic obedience.

Prey drive after other animals is not the same as dog aggression. I've known plenty of dogs who will kill a rabbit or a pigeon given the chance, but who are fine with other dogs and people.

GrumpyMiddleAgedWoman Tue 18-Aug-20 09:46:44

Actually, I should have said not so much train it out as control and contain it. One of my dogs will not chase rabbits, but she will stand watching them literally vibrating with excitement.

RiaRoth Tue 18-Aug-20 10:23:17

In the short term get her a bell to wear, it will give the hunted a sporting chance.

It will really be control and management with some training but unlikely to be able to 100% trust her.

The problem with getting a puppy is that they are time consuming and this may make it hard to work on "issues" with your existing dog.

Floralnomad Tue 18-Aug-20 11:33:39

It doesn’t sound to me like your current dog would appreciate a friend , not all dogs like to share their home .

vanillandhoney Tue 18-Aug-20 15:42:11

Schnauzers are naturally vocal dogs - is her barking down to fear or excitement?

The chase instinct can be trained but at 8yo I think you may struggle as she's had a lifetime of doing it. Every time she catches her pray it's a positive reinforcement for her so it may be harder to train out of her than you think! Most dogs have some form of chase instinct in them.

However your description of her being highly strung, combined with the above, makes me think she may be happier as an only dog. Not all dogs want to live with a friend - some are quite happy living on their own. I often think the addition of a 2nd (or 3rd) is for the human and not the dog. Mine loves playing with other dogs on his walks but at home he likes the attention he gets from being a solo.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in