Rommie rescue question

(6 Posts)
Allfurcoatandnoknickers Sun 16-Aug-20 09:47:36

Just wanted to ask other Rommie owners how long it took for their rescue to settle?
We got him back in February and he’s settling well in the house on the whole and gets on well with our other 8yo JRT cross.
He came over from Romania last summer and was in foster care with lots of dogs prior to coming to us. He now seems to be dog reactive if a dog is too close or comes bounding over to us.
Walks are a pain as we live near two massive parks that are dog walking magnets so getting out of the house can prove difficult, especially with the number of puppies that have appeared over the last few months.
I’m supposed to be working with a behaviourist but- long story- will be getting another one.
He’s a lovely dog but the walks can prove stressful. I try to keep to quieter areas but wonder if this just creates a bigger issue if we go to busier areas.
Any words of hope would be greatly welcome!

OP’s posts: |
Allfurcoatandnoknickers Sun 16-Aug-20 12:48:17

Anyone??

RiaRoth Sun 16-Aug-20 13:00:56

You want to keep his stress levels down as much as possible and you are doing that by walking him in quiet areas. I would be avoiding busy areas for quite a while. Each encounter that triggers a reaction will be a big step back for him.

Be prepared for this to take a while. There is no quick fix and a good behaviourist should be able to support you through this. They should also be able to work out activities that you can both do that will be less stressful and still fun. This helps to balance the difficult areas that you may have to live with for a while.

Allfurcoatandnoknickers Sun 16-Aug-20 17:03:23

Thanks- we’re taking things very slowly and I’m trying to keep to quiet areas wherever possible. His triggers are definitely dogs that are close by if we can’t get in there first with treats (!) and bouncy dogs off lead coming running up to him.
I’m hoping we can find a behaviourist who we can work with going forwards

Borderstotheleftofme Mon 17-Aug-20 13:31:57

bouncy dogs off lead coming running up to him
This is really rude behaviour though and I find it maddening that it’s seen as ‘normal’, how would you like it if a complete stranger raced over to you and got right in your personal space?
You’d probably be really uncomfortable even if their intentions were ‘friendly’ and demand they leave too!
I don’t know if I’d call telling off rude dogs bouncing up to him uninvited ‘reactivity’ personally.
Unless by ‘reactive’ you mean he actually intends to harm them rather than just growling or lip curling?

Allfurcoatandnoknickers Mon 17-Aug-20 16:54:57

I agree with the comment about bouncy dogs. It absolutely infuriates me too but the sad fact where we are is that a lot of owners use the walk time to be on the phone, and many dogs that are usually walked in a big pack are looking for a play. Both these things seem to be completely acceptable sadly.
If a dog has good manners, 8/10 he will walk past on a ‘look at me’ command with a treat. Occasionally if he’s trigger stacked, And on lead, he’ll lunge and bark. Very occasionally (this has happened about 4 times since May when we started long line work) he’ll run after a dog barking then stops and doesn’t know what to do next. I’ve noticed that he barks when he’s chasing my other dog in play.
If he’s had a stressful walk we'll do a quiet one the next day.
I completely accept that some of his behaviours may never go away, but if we can get to the point where we can have more relaxing walks I’ll be happy!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in