Did any one give a gift to their breeder??

(23 Posts)
Dickorydockwhatthe Sat 15-Aug-20 09:36:39

We are picking up our puppy today and wondering if I should give a little gift to the breeder as a small gesture? Is this the done thing?

OP’s posts: |
Borderstotheleftofme Sat 15-Aug-20 11:53:21

Never heard of this and would never do it myself

Bakerofcakes Sat 15-Aug-20 11:56:42

Looking at the price of puppies today, I think the fee would be gift enough.

Floralnomad Sat 15-Aug-20 12:07:58

Why would you unless she is gifting you the puppy .

longtompot Sat 15-Aug-20 12:12:52

No, the fee was enough I thought.

YoureAllABunchOfBastards Sat 15-Aug-20 12:20:17

No - you are paying enough.

I did send photos and a card the following Christmas as they are not on FB, but haven't done it since

Goongoon Sat 15-Aug-20 12:21:28

No, you’re paying enough for the puppy.

Advertisement

CentrifugalBumblePuppy Sat 15-Aug-20 12:23:10

I bought chocolates & flowers, but only as she’d given almost daily updates on the litter after we’d chosen our pup. All in, we travelled 500 miles & spent nearly £3000 (including hotel, travel and pup). We’re still in touch with his breeder now.

I have a good relationship still with her (and she vetted us as much as we vetted her) and when we went to collect our lad, it was like meeting a friend for the first time in person. So a gift was natural (and hugs, tea & biscuits and a good natter for a couple of hours!).

If it’s just a financial transaction, maybe a gift is a bit OTT.

Pipandmum Sat 15-Aug-20 12:23:15

Are you kidding? Do you give the florist a gift when you buy flowers? It's a business transaction. No gift.

NC4Now Sat 15-Aug-20 12:23:44

I have cats but it’s the same principle. No, it never crossed my mind to give them a gift. I did send them a photo on WhatsApp after a couple of weeks to show how well they’d settled in, which seemed to be appreciated.

AuntyPasta Sat 15-Aug-20 12:25:39

No. If they’re a good breeder who cares about their dogs, send them a card in 6 months or so with a picture of your dog and a few lines about them.

vanillandhoney Sat 15-Aug-20 12:29:06

Definitely not - the money is a gift enough!

OwlInAnOakTree Sat 15-Aug-20 15:09:56

I gave her a little box of chocolates because my pup was her favourite from the litter and I knew she was sad to let him go.

ShalomToYouJackie Sat 15-Aug-20 15:11:23

You'll be gifting the checkout person at Tesco a bunch of flowers next grin

GrumpyMiddleAgedWoman Sat 15-Aug-20 23:32:50

Nope, but I keep in touch with the breeders of our younger dogs. Photos are usually appreciated.

mamalovebird Sat 15-Aug-20 23:40:40

What, apart from the £750 for the dog?? Err, no.
We're still friends on social media though and she still comments when I post a pic of him.

McQueensMuse Sat 15-Aug-20 23:50:56

I thought about this but ended up not doing it as I couldn't find anyone to do what I wanted.
I wanted to get a sketch done of the whole litter together.
Our breeders were just amazing though.

Smallsteps88 Sat 15-Aug-20 23:55:46

You do know the breeder didn’t birth the pup themselves dont you?

What would they need a gift for? They aren’t doing you a favour. They’re selling you a product.

You could get the mother dog a gift and have her speyed.

AngelicaElizaAndPeggy Sun 16-Aug-20 19:30:18

We took a big bitey puppy off their hands - isn't that enough grin

vanillandhoney Sun 16-Aug-20 19:39:38

I bought chocolates & flowers, but only as she’d given almost daily updates on the litter after we’d chosen our pup. All in, we travelled 500 miles & spent nearly £3000 (including hotel, travel and pup). We’re still in touch with his breeder now.

See, we're still in touch with our breeder and got daily updates too. It never occurred to me to give him chocolates! The £750 I paid him was plenty grin

carly2803 Sun 16-Aug-20 22:15:12

mamalovebird

What, apart from the £750 for the dog?? Err, no.
We're still friends on social media though and she still comments when I post a pic of him.

clearly you have not bought a dog during lockdown of 2020?
750 might buy you a leg nowadays lol!

the gift is the money. judging by the absolutely ridiculous prices, that is enough!

pilates Mon 17-Aug-20 06:50:32

No, she did ok from me

Ylvamoon Mon 17-Aug-20 09:49:29

The best gift you can give your breeder (if they are genuine) is an update with pictures on the pup/ adult dog with little adventure stories! grin

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in