Heart murmurs?

(4 Posts)
AintNobodyHereButUsChickens Fri 14-Aug-20 17:33:58

Earlier my dog was coughing and retching as if she was trying to bring something up then she suddenly collapsed and went all floppy, she was totally unresponsive for at least 5 minutes. She peed on the floor at some point during this too. I took her straight to the vets (she was standing up in the car by the time we got there!) and they ran some blood tests and did a scan. They were quite worried about how pale her gums were but thankfully they coloured up nicely fairly quickly.

Anyway, it turns out she has a heart murmur on both sides of her heart. The vet said he won't start her on any meds just yet, we'll see how we go for now. But I can actually feel it, I don't know how I've never noticed it before now but you can feel it through her chest. Instead of her heartbeat going 'dum dum dum' it's sort of going 'drrrm drrrm drrrm'. Is it bad that I can feel it? Is it good that the vet doesn't want to put her on meds 'yet'? She's a 9-ish years old Border Terrier.

OP’s posts: |
Girlintheframe Sat 15-Aug-20 05:12:57

I can't answer your questions but just wanted to give you a bit of reassurance. My parents dog has a heart murmur, in fact he has a grade 4 murmur (think it's rated 1-5). Vet has put him in medication and advised he loose a bit of weight. Dog is doing really well. He had a check up last week and vet was really happy with him.
The fact your dog doesn't need meds yet seems a good thing, but even when he does he can still go in to have a long happy life

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 15-Aug-20 07:13:21

Did she gave evidence of heart enlargement in particular left atrial enlargement on the scan. In border terriers the most likely disease is mitral valve disease and current advice is only to start medication when the left atrium is enlarged ( measured relative to the aortic valve).

AintNobodyHereButUsChickens Sat 15-Aug-20 09:20:20

@Lonecatwithkitten it was only a quick scan to check there was no internal bleeding or anything. I have to call them in the week to make an appointment for another check up so I guess they will find out more then?
I just hope I can afford to put her on medication if it's needed 😥 We're not exactly rolling in it and she's no longer insured because the premiums shot up when she turned 8 and I couldn't afford it anymore sad

Thanks @Girlintheframe that's good to know smile

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in