Talk

Advanced search

Dog sitting down when he sees another dog he likes

(10 Posts)
pilates Fri 07-Aug-20 22:41:25

So when we go out for a lead walk my 2 year old dog will see another dog on the other side of the road he likes the look of and slams on the brakes and sits down. It takes a lot of coaxing to get him going again. Does anybody else’s dog do this? He is super sociable and loves playing with other dogs.

OP’s posts: |
Personita Fri 07-Aug-20 23:05:43

My dog lies on his back when he sees a dog he wants to play with because he knows I can't make him move if he does that. He's 8 and I still haven't figured out how to stop it. Plus he usually gets a belly rub from the other dog walker, which is a good incentive for him do it again next time. Sometimes he gets treats too. If he really won't move I explain to the other dog walker and they walk away with their dog, but other than that I've no advice.

StillMedusa Sat 08-Aug-20 00:05:31

Ah the butt plant! Mine does that (well not currently as she's in season and hates everyone , she's not coping well..roll on spaying!)

I just wait until the other dog has gone from view, no point arguing about it smile

suggestionsplease1 Sat 08-Aug-20 00:14:42

Aw, I love it when I see dogs doing this - it's normally the pups/young ones. I always think they are saying 'I'm sitting nicely, now when do I get my treat of saying hello to that dog?'

pistachioicecream Sat 08-Aug-20 00:22:21

My puppy does that too. And when other people walk by. She’s most confused if people don’t stroke her or other dogs don’t want to say hello and play!

Girliefriendlikespuppies Sat 08-Aug-20 09:17:19

Yep my dog does this as well, I just roll my eyes and wait for the other dog to pass!!

We've actually just come back from a few days away at a place where there were loads of dogs and lots of lead walking. I think it's helped him learn to ignore the majority of other dogs walking passed as he would have literally had to spend the whole day sat in one spot otherwise!

Stellaris22 Sat 08-Aug-20 13:57:43

Ours does too. She'll lie down and do her best 'look at how cute I am' expression for attention.

Juiceey Sat 08-Aug-20 18:00:31

Yep my puppy does this. There's no moving him, so I just wait it out! He looks most put out if the dog he was waiting for just ignores him.

RedHelenB Sat 08-Aug-20 19:33:44

Aw. This gorgeous dog did just this on our walk today and when I checked if he wanted to say hello shared some lovely kisses with ddog!

muckandnettles Sun 09-Aug-20 19:35:49

My pup does this as well and because he is so excitable I have sort of encouraged it as the start of being calm when he wants to play or say hello. I actually thought I'd trained him to do this until I read this thread!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in