Canine Anal Gland Cancer - Help & advice?

(3 Posts)
FluffyDogMother Fri 07-Aug-20 19:50:40

A few weeks ago, my gorgeous dog was diagnosed with anal gland carcinoma. She was previously being treated for a blocked anal gland with antibiotics etc and when they took her in for a gland flush they did a blood test, which showed the hypercalcaemia, and they then diagnosed the cancer. Vet says the tumour is about 8cm in size and in her opinion has probably spread. They gave my dog steroids and sent her home with a review in 4 weeks.

As my dog hates the vets with a passion and gets very distressed, they suggest no further action (other than monitoring), and instead for us and her to enjoy however long she has left with us at home as stress free as possible.

Is there anything else we can do for our dog to make however long she has left more comfortable? She is struggling with going to the toilet today (hence my post) so I've given her some veg tonight with her normal food.

Thanks

OP’s posts: |
Floralnomad Fri 07-Aug-20 22:40:03

I’ve no experience in this at all but can dogs take stool softeners , like the doggy equivalent of dulcoease . It sounds very distressing for your poor dog and yourself .

FluffyDogMother Sat 08-Aug-20 19:02:36

Thanks for replying @Floralnomad - today we've had the opposite and diarrhoea. sad

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in